Kentucky baseball’s battery: Devin Burkes looks to lead UK to success

Travis Fannon
Kentucky Wildcats catcher Devin Burkes (7) throws the ball to second base during the No. 18 Kentucky vs. No. 25 Missouri baseball game on Sunday, April 2, 2023, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 3-1. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

The catcher is known as half of the battery that makes a baseball game go, but for Kentucky baseball, Devin Burkes might just be the full battery that makes the team go.

The redshirt junior played his first full season as a Wildcat in 2023, starting all 61 games, and put up stellar numbers on offense.

Burkes hit for a .291 batting average with 65 hits, 38 walks, 53 runs batted in and was hit by 15 pitches.

Behind the plate Burkes played a clean season as he did not commit a single error and caught nine runners attempting to steal.

Burkes also earned some postseason accolades by being named the Most Outstanding Player in the Lexington Regional in 2023.

Big Blue Nation quickly took a liking to the catcher not only for his play on the field, but also his attitude and personality while playing. 

“BBN is the best man, just the support we got last year was insane,” Burkes said. “Playing for a crowd like that is very easy to play for.”

Kentucky Wildcats catcher Devin Burkes (7) stands in the infield during the Kentucky vs. Indiana State baseball game on Saturday, March 4, 2023, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 4-2. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff (Travis Fannon)

Burkes often takes the field with streaks of black on his face and multiple chains draped around his neck.

Another unique element to Burkes is his cleats as he wears a wide variety of cleats with some even being custom made. This is something he ensured is not changing in 2024.

“Oh man, I got something in the works, I got something in the work” Burkes exclaimed, talking about his cleats for the upcoming season.

He even gave a small teaser for a possible design fans can look forward to. 

“I have been trying to do some Bob’s Burger theme, it is going to be cool man,” Burkes said.

Burkes also plays the game with a radiating smile that can be seen on his face and through his different celebrations for getting a hit.

Bat flips, flexing, fist pumps and swiveling hips are some of the things that can be seen when Burkes touches or rounds the bases after a big hit or homer. He plays the game with passion and energy constantly on display.

“That’s always been me, that’s how mom raised me,” Burkes said when speaking about that energy and personality.

All of these things bring energy not only to the fans at the ballpark, but also to his teammates and coaches, which has resulted in Burkes taking on a leadership role with the Cats.

“This guy makes the coaches better, he makes the pitchers better, he makes the position players better, he makes everyone in the program better, he is a full on winner,” head coach Nick Mingione said.

The colorful personality that fans see on the field is no different than what his coaches and teammates see off the field.

“He shows up to the coaches’ office everyday and lights up the room. Today he goes, ‘Aye, here we go!’ and he has all this energy. I’ll yell down the hall, ‘Hey, quit smiling, no laughing in here, it is all business,’” Mingione said jokingly.

Kentucky Wildcats catcher Devin Burkes (7) swings his bat during the Kentucky vs. Indiana State baseball game on Sunday, March 5, 2023, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 7-6. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff (Travis Fannon)

Burkes himself has acknowledged the leadership role and said he won’t shy away from it in the slightest.

“You can fall under that fake leadership if you are not being yourself and that will be stressful on you, so be who you are,” he said.

Going into 2024 Burkes also realizes that, despite having a good season for not only himself but the entire team, there’s no such thing as a perfect player.

“(I need to improve) just every aspect of my game: my leadership role, my communication and obviously the performance even as a human being,” he said.

While humble regarding his own growth, Burkes is certainly not one to lack confidence ahead of a big season for the program, not shying away from the team’s ambitions of reaching Omaha in the College World Series.

“Come on baby, yessir, come on,” he said. “Yeah, Omaha. Mom already booked her hotel and ticket, so we are going.”

Kentucky baseball will begin its 2024 campaign on Friday, Feb. 16, on the road against South Carolina Upstate. Game one of the three-game series will begin at 3 p.m. ET and will air live on ESPN+.