American Pharoah takes the Classic

By Morgan Lafferty

At 9 a.m. on Saturday morning, the green gates of Keeneland swung open and people dressed to the nines flooded the paddock area for the second day of Breeders’ Cup racing.

Minute by minute, more people filed in and like Friday, the brisk morning did not stop fans from coming to watch history be made.

For the first time in history, a Triple Crown winner was able to compete for the Breeders’ Cup Classic. American Pharoah’s last time to shine was coming.

As the eight contenders for the Breeders’ Cup Classic emerged from the paddock and onto the track the crowd applauded in approval. But once the horses were loaded into the starting gates, the crowd grew silent.

When the starting gate bell rang through Keeneland the horses launched out of the gate and the crowd went wild.

Two minutes later, American Pharoah came out on top. Right from the start, Pharoah took the lead as jockey Victor Espinoza held position.

Pharoah led his opponents with confidence with Tonalist and Effinex following close behind along with the rest of the field. Halfway through the race, Effinex attempted to challenge Pharoah but only reached up to his hind end before falling back again.

American Pharoah won by 6 ½ lengths and made history.

“I knew this was going to be his last race and I let him run,” Espinoza said.

Winning the Classic with American Pharoah was trainer Bob Baffert’s second Breeders’ Cup Classic win in a row.

“In the paddock,” Baffert said. “I told Victor that he (American Pharoah) was right today and just to ride him.”

Baffert said he believes Pharoah is the greatest horse he will ever see and  he will have a tough time deciding who will take the helm since American Pharoah is now retired.

Pharoah’s owner, Ahmed Zayat could not have been prouder of his horse this evening.

“What can I say? What a horse!” Zayat said. “He is the most brilliant horse I have ever seen. He is a once-in-a-lifetime horse.”

Zayat and Baffert have yet to discuss what is next for the first horse to win a ‘Grand Slam.’

“The Triple Crown winner should go out in a way that is appropriate for both this sport and his fans, and for him,” Zayat said. “We will discuss it in order to pay tribute to such a special animal.”

Before the Classic, Baffert consistently stated that he was not worried about winning the race. He, as well as the Zayat’s and Espinoza, wanted Pharoah to run this race for himself.

“He is a champion,” Baffert said. “I am so glad that American Pharoah goes out the champion he is. We’re all going to miss him.”