Lego reality show may foster creativity for viewers

Lego vice-president of Global Licensing and Distribution Jill Wilfert announced a couple weeks ago at the Mipcom TV conference that after expanding their brand from video games to movies, the Swedish toy manufacturers will attempt to enter the world of reality TV in 2015.

“The idea of becoming a master builder is something we think could be quite resonating,” Wilfert said, according to Ben Skipper of International Business Times.

Skipper goes on to define a Master Builder as a concept that was introduced in “The Lego Movie” (2014) of a person who is “able to create amazing things without the need for the instruction leaflets that potentially limit so many children from playing with Lego.”

Actually, Master Builder is the name given to the individuals who design the sets created and sold by Lego and make incredibly detailed sculptures out of Lego bricks for events and showcases.

According to Priceonomics’ article, “Life as a Lego Professional” in March, there are only 40 official Master Builders in the world, seven of whom are American.

So it seems unlikely, as cool as that could be, that Lego would consider adding to that pool of professionals based on a reality TV competition. But if we’re using Skipper’s definition, even with the caveat that the creations must be “amazing,” I can give you a few candidates for your show right now, Wilfert.

For 18 and a half years, I lived with a master builder.

My brother Tyler Halliwell, currently a sophomore at Indiana University in Bloomington, creates fantastic things with Lego. And while I admit a slight familial bias, the Lego competition he and his fellow builders have entered and won in the last few years back me up, at least a little.

Tyler introduced our family to the world of AFOL’s, or Adult Fans of Lego, beginning in junior high school. Since then, he has become part of VirtuaLUG, an international group of people who communicate through on VirtuaLUG.org from everywhere from Germany to Indiana to New Zealand and collaborate on giant group builds for annual Lego conventions.

In the last couple years, VirtuaLUG has filled convention tables with recreations of “The Wizard of Oz” (including a grayscaled, moving tornado and light-up Emerald City), and “The Odyssey,” which of course included an actual working fountain and thousands upon thousands of bricks in the multipart narration of the story.

From an outside perspective, the world of Lego, from bricks to builders, is incredibly rich material for a TV show. The level of skill that the people display, from creating entire works individually based on art or pop culture, and the time and effort it takes to make a cohesive group project at a certain scale, are inherently impressive.

Add to that a group of genuinely passionate, artistic, talented people who seem to build each other up (pun absolutely intended). The Lego community is relatively small, but full of individuals who share a creative hobby that, even for people with no spatial intelligence, is awe-inspiring to watch.

[email protected].