Palli: Remain politically engaged when election season ends

After the Student Government debate on Tuesday, I read through hundreds of tweets, Facebook posts and other comments on various social media platforms. I was impressed and excited by the enthusiasm shown by our students as they weighed in on the issues and participated in the discussion.

But do not let that passion end with the conclusion of the election. No matter who is announced Thursday, it is important for our entire student body to continue to weigh in on the issues that face our university.

It is our duty as responsible voters to push and question our elected representatives. You should never doubt the availability of your senators or president. Student Government does our utmost to represent the interests of our students. But with input and respectful dialogue, we can do that job all the better.

Respectful and transparent dialogue between the students and their representatives is essential to the functioning of Student Government. As one of your senators so eloquently stated, “it is our job to push them to do better and do more.”

Your senators have pushed me this year to effectively explain my actions and decisions. In the same way, the student body must also weigh in, question and push our Student Government.

Although my term as student body president ends this semester, the issues that face our campus will continue to be important to me. I plan to be an active member of our community and I hope you will continue to do the same.

Actively read the Kernel. Sit down and talk with your representatives. Discuss the relevant issues with your peers. There is so much we can do to shape the course of this university, but it is up to us to actually reach out and do it.