Victory achieved only through persistence

Column by Austin Hill

NFL quarterback Brett Favre was acquired by the Green Bay Packers following his rookie year with the Atlanta Falcons. In no time, he used the trade to launch what has been one of the most storied careers anyone has ever witnessed. He is doing what he loves. contrary to those who believed he could no longer perform on the professional level, he has been a fine wine, getting better with age.

Monday night, Favre slipped on a purple No. 4 jersey for the Minnesota Vikings and took the field for the first time against the Green Bay Packers. Favre played 16 seasons for Green Bay and his reward for his years of service: being forced out for a younger prospect. Many speculated that Favre prematurely retired, opening the door for the younger Aaron Rodgers as Favre was coming off one of his best statistical years.

Prior to the retirement, in overtime against the New York Giants in the NFC championship game, Favre threw a costly interception, which led to a devastating Packers loss. Of all Favre’s accomplishments that year, that is the one that many remember, and may be the one that cost him his job. That didn’t make Favre want to give up, though. Amidst the rumors that he would be replaced, Favre retired, but wanted back into football, and was eventually traded to the New York Jets where he played a full season — including playing the last five games with a tear in the bicep tendon in his throwing arm. After another brief retirement stint in the off-season, he had surgery to repair the arm and signed his current deal with the Packers’ division rival, the Vikings.

Favre owns the NFL record for passing completions and attempts, and has more wins than any other quarterback. He has thrown for the most touchdown total yards, but has the most interceptions as well. A three-time NFL MVP, he led the Packers to a Super Bowl victory in 1997. He has started every game since 1992 and now after Monday’s victory over the Packers, is the only player to record a win against all 32 teams. He threw for 399 yards and four touchdowns the night after his father died.

He stood by his wife through breast cancer and battled addictions to pain killers and alcohol. All the accomplishments, and people still told him to quit — there was nothing left to achieve. He knew he still had gas in the tank, there was too much fire in him to put out, his legacy was incomplete.

No one is quicker than Favre to point out that not one single thing makes his legacy what it is. He doesn’t hold one record over another, he has just shown up everyday and given all he has. To Favre, he has just acquired the numbers, the experiences and the lessons. When you put it all on the table, you will see him as a human being both in victory and defeat.

For anyone who is looking for their footprint, what has defined their legacy, or what will complete it, ask yourself, “How have I fared in my wins and my losses?”

It could be that we see our accomplishments hanging on the wall, and the records we have accrued over time allow for overconfidence and complacency, leaving a feeling that there is nothing left to compete for. But will you listen to those who tell you it is time to retire?

No one is perfect. Everyone will throw an interception or drop the ball, and everyone will lose on some days. How we respond in our losses, how we correct our turnovers, is what defines us.

We create the base for victory through making smarter plays the next time. The important part is to always show up and play, to be a good teammate, and to never give up.

Brett Favre will turn 40 on Saturday. Time will tell if he has fulfilled all he feels, he needs to look back on his career and call it complete. I believe we can all benefit from looking at our lives the same way. Just say out loud: Can I be a better person? Does the path I have chosen benefit me? What am I giving back to the world and what will it remember me by? If you are not satisfied with your answers, then ask yourself: Am I giving it my all? Am I showing up everyday? And can I learn enough from my defeats to catapult me to victory?