College improves, students benefit

When the architecture, interior design and engineering programs merged to become the College of Design five years ago, the move was a step back for the university. In addition to a newly created, cluttered department, the needs of the students got lost in the transition with the change. Recently, however, there has been positive momentum towards improving the quality of the college.

According to a Sept. 9 Kernel article, the college has made major changes including appointments, adding new Mac computers, offering a new lecture series and more opportunities to travel abroad for students as a part of restructuring the school, Dean Michael Speaks said.

The College of Design is not the only program that could use improvement. Such enhancements are commendable and set an example for the rest of the university. First, the college identified a problem and took steps toward finding solutions.

Secondly, the students’ concerns were heard and taken into consideration. The courses offered were extended and adapted to better suit their needs. For students, it’s encouraging to know that if there is a concern, someone is listening.

Finally, the college is restructuring the Design Energy Initatives program, which not only puts UK further on the path for the future but earns the college money and prestige, as seen with the UK’s selection for the Solar Decathalon.

It’s admirable that the College of Design actively seeks to provide its students with the “best education they could have,”  as Dean Speaks said. Having leadership in place that can make substantial change in such a short time must also be noted.

This example shows that keeping the student as the focus, instead of trying to hit benchmarks or emphasizing research, is always better for the university in the long run.