New school year offers students many opportunities

Column by Ryan Smith

It’s hard to believe it is already time to start another year. It seems like just last week we were trying to get ready for exams while we wondered what kind of magic Coach Cal was working on. However, after a summer of planning and hard work, it’s great to be back on campus. To the upperclassmen: welcome back! I hope the summer didn’t fly by too quickly, and I’m glad to see you made a safe return. To the freshmen: welcome to UK! I can’t tell you how honored I am to have you here, and I hope you’ve been taking advantage of the countless free t-shirts and endless supply of food.

For freshmen looking to get involved on campus, there are literally over a hundred student organizations out there, so please take the time to find out which ones are for you. Student Government is always looking for great new minds to help us help the students. The Freshmen Leadership Development Program is an SGA group for freshmen only that helps give a glimpse into the role student government plays here at the university, and introduces new students to all the services provided for people on campus. Applications for LDP are now up on our Web site, www.uksga.org, and interviews will be held in September. Also, four freshmen senators at-large are elected in mid-October. So, if representing your class is something you’d like to think about, this is definitely something you will want to look into. If you have any questions at all about getting involved, or simply want to come by and chat, come by our office in the Student Center. We are in Room 120 and the door is always open.

SG has been hard at work this summer, and our team has already started putting some great new events and plans in motion. Our staff, in a collaborative effort with the Student Activities Board , UK Athletics, the office of the Provost, the office of the President and UK Public Relations, has helped implement a new incentive-based program, called TallyCats, which was originally thought up by the University Leadership Summit. TallyCats will help you guys get out and involved on campus, all while meeting new friends and having a chance to win some pretty awesome prizes like gift cards, free books, or even free rent for a year. You will simply swipe your UK ID at certain campus events, which will help you accumulate points that go toward prizes. Check out our website, TallyCats.com, to take a look at the calendar of registered events.

We still offer many of the same services to the students as we always have too. If you need a calculator, you’re always welcome to come check one out from the office. Wildcat Wheels, which is funded by SG, will help you get around campus a little quicker if you’d like to rent a bike. Not to mention, we offer free legal services to all UK students. Adjusting to classes can sometimes be a stretch, especially after a three month study break, so if you happen to be struggling, we would be happy to help set you up with free tutoring service. And, for anyone who may have aspirations of working in Washington D.C., we have several internship applications in the office to send you on your way.

We are here to represent the student body, and to serve you in any way possible. In the past, with your help and support, we have been able to improve student life on campus in several ways, whether it was ensuring the library remains open 24 hours throughout the weekdays or going to the capital to lobby for public education funding. Your thoughts and opinions are the driving force behind our jobs, and we hope that you continue to show us support and help make the student voice heard. Please stop by and see us any time. Like I said before, our door is always open to the students no matter what you need.

Before I go, I’d like to offer you new students a little bit of advice when it comes to going to your first college classes and making the grade. College definitely calls for some adjustments from high school. College is a time to have fun, but don’t forget that you came here to further yourself academically, too. No one here will force you to go to class or stop you from catching that two-hour nap, so be prepared to step up your self-discipline. Grab a seat close to the front of class and show up wearing something other than your PJs to make a good first impression. Go meet with your professors one-on-one. The instructors here at UK are among the best and the brightest, and missing the chance to get to know them would be one of your biggest regrets. Over-prepare for the first few weeks of class and make sure to ace that first big exam to ensure that you start off on the right foot. Keep up the hard work that got you here, and you will never have a problem.

It’s great to be home with you all and I can’t begin to tell you how excited I am for this coming year! Go Cats!