Slots bill must be passed for industry’s survival

Politics as usual dominated the recent Kentucky special government session called by Gov. Steve Beshear to address concerns about a projected $1 billion revenue shortfall for the 2009-10 fiscal year. 

The elected representatives of Kentucky acted like college students ready to get off campus as quickly as they could for summer break as they discussed innovative ways to plug a budget gap. 

A special session that lasted all of nine days yielded nothing more than a blown opportunity for the legislators to do something worthwhile.  Let’s give them some credit, though, they did pass some things.

They cut most state agencies by 2.6 percent and effectively apportioned all $740 million in stimulus money toward closing the gap. 

After “fixing” the budget gap, legislators did some very odd things. As a part of the budget bill, they passed financial incentive packages that will attempt to lure film production, future Breeder’s Cup races and a NASCAR Sprint Cup race, according to a Business First of Louisville article. 

Film production? I can just see it now. UK students are cruising down I-64 heading back to school in the fall and a new exit is positioned off the side of the expressway. With bright lights and loud music, a billboard welcomes all visitors to “Hollywood, Kentucky!” 

Despite all the heartfelt attempts to boost a sagging Kentucky economy, the real story that developed out of all this hoopla was a bill that didn’t make it to Gov. Beshear’s desk to sign.  A bill proposed in the House by Rep. Greg Stumbo to expand gambling in the state of Kentucky passed the House but didn’t make it out of committee in the Senate. 

This failure to act is still mind-boggling to me.  With the state’s premiere industry struggling to stay afloat and with revenue shortfalls, this seemed to be a no-brainer.  The horse industry is struggling to compete with surrounding states that can subsidize their horse racing tracks through casino-style gambling on site. 

The leaders can pass a bill to help car racing, which doesn’t have near the fan base in Kentucky as horse racing, but they can’t send aid to an industry that employs about 50,000 people in the state.

The government spoke and now those involved in horse racing throughout this state are speaking. Ellis Park in northern Kentucky, where horses have been racing for 88 years, will be shutting down after their summer meet concludes on Labor Day. Ellis Park owner Ron Geary said that since the legislators did not pass the slots bill, he cannot afford to stay in business. 

By not acting, the government is causing people to lose their job. This is a reversal of policy on how governments across the country have been acting lately. Buzzwords like “bailout” and phrases like “unemployment figures” have streamed into our everyday language. 

Yet Kentucky doesn’t seem to get it. This would be a good time to open your ears and eyes, state representatives, because what I’m about to say is pretty important. The idea is to save jobs, not destroy them. 

I understand all the social and moral implications linked to casino gambling and slot machines, but, as I see it, people will always gamble. Why not retain that gambling in our own state, instead of across the river in Indiana or Ohio? 

The main man behind this anti-gambling movement is Sen. David Williams, a self-proclaimed casino gambler. Except Williams’ main issue with expanded gambling has nothing to do with the people, just the government. 

Williams wrote an essay defending his position against anti-gambling in June of 2007.  He proclaimed in that essay that he is worried about the stranglehold the gambling lobbyists will have in Frankfort. He believes the government will become corrupt under these influences. 

That’s a bold statement coming from a man who visits casinos and a Senate majority leader of a top-ten corrupt state. According to a New York Times article from December 2008, Kentucky ranks ninth among the 50 states of convicted officials per capita.

Gov. Beshear said it best when the special session concluded. When speaking about legislator’s failures to pass a slots bill and passing a different way to close the gap, he said, “With all due respect, you don’t need a Band-Aid when the patient is dying.”

Â