Stronger graduation guidance must be offered to students

It seems a long time coming, but by this December, I will be a UK graduate. After five years of school, commencement will be sweet. However, taking five years to graduate is not a new trend. The Department of Education’s National Center for Education Statistics found that about 40 percent of students graduate from college in four years. The average time to graduate for students from four-year, public institutions in 1999-2000 was 4.8 years. When did four-year universities make the shift to five-year universities?

It would appear that somewhere along the way, the vision of undergraduate success became entangled and delayed in red tape. The red tape is primarily attributable to the University Studies Program, which consumes many hours of study that could be directed toward the student’s major. Not to devalue the merit of a multidisciplinary approach, but some requirements should be cut to maximize time spent at the university.

Also, there is a lack of intense guidance for undeclared students. Much more major choice counseling should be offered, if not required, for unsure freshman. I recommend this because one quick, 30-minute session each semester is not nearly enough time to decide what direction you want your life to take. Our campus freshmen and sophomores are crammed into lecture halls and processed at an alarming rate.

With a freshman class of 4,044 students in 2008-09 (based on preliminary numbers), it is no surprise that four years of study can quickly add up to five or six. UK should strive for a four-year graduation rate, similar to Centre College – an institution who guarantees “students who meet the College’s academic and social expectations an internship, study abroad, and graduation in four years.”

I advise our young student population to take the initiative and be proactive with class choices. Waste no time and decide early what program you want to be a part of. By shaving two semesters, an incoming freshman will save $8,123 – that figure does not even take into account tuition hikes. The $8,123 saved could equal over a year’s rent or part of your tuition for graduate school. Focus your energy, and come to college with a purpose, it will save you more than just time.

Jessica Gregory

English senior