Intramurals program successful and deserves more coverage

Competition has the tendency to bring out the best in people. For years, UK has made the valiant effort of putting together a mainly successful intramurals program, allowing students, Greek and non-Greek, to compete in over 20 sports and activities throughout the fall and spring semesters. The level of competition has remained strong since I’ve been a student here, giving students the chance to put their skills to the test, experience the thrill of a close contest and display good sportsmanship.

Unfortunately, the noble endeavors of the UK intramurals office and those who compete are hardly recognized in the Kernel. The seasons of several intramural sports last several weeks long, and, while few would argue that student intramural athletics are as important as our varsity programs, they are the source of much inspiration and dedication for a significant number of students. Any small recognition in our student newspaper of the winners of UK-sponsored intramural events, be it basketball, racquetball, track, or any other sport, would be greatly fulfilling for those who took the time to prepare, compete, and be a good sport with their friends, often in the name of their student organization or Greek affiliation. Doing so would help ensure that intramurals remains a healthy tradition at our university.

Taylor Mayer

Finance Junior