Advertised Freedom of Choice Act a non-issue with current administration

I’m sure you have seen the fliers protesting the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) plastered on bulletin boards and classroom walls around campus. Sporting an angry looking baby and exaggerated abortion facts, these fliers ask, “What the FOCA?” Good question.

The Freedom of Choice Act was last introduced in 2007 when it was unclear as to whether or not George W. Bush would have the opportunity to appoint another Supreme Court justice, possibly threatening the Roe v Wade decision. Had it ever passed, this act would have prevented the government from putting stipulations on abortions performed prior to viability. However, with President Obama’s recent election, FOCA appears to be the last thing on anyone’s minds … well almost anyone’s.

Pro-choice organizations across the United States have sent the president their priorities for reproductive rights and FOCA wasn’t even included. With failing abstinence-only education programs, health care disasters and an economic crisis big enough to grab anyone’s attention, FOCA has quickly become irrelevant. Not only has FOCA not been presented before the 111th Congress but, should it be, the Speaker of the House has already stated that she will not be bringing it up for a vote.

Why, then, are these FOCA fliers cluttering our bulletin boards? It’s a waste of paper if you ask me.

Stephanie Hopkins

biology and anthropology junior