Kernel should carefully place front page content

First, let me start out by saying that I applaud the Kernel for its Pacemaker award. It is awesome to know that my college newspaper is nationally known and recognized. However, even award-winning papers have their occasional mistakes, and I would classify the article written and placed on the front page of the Oct. 29 issue as a­ huge mistake. It may be a known fact that many women, and even men, are employed by “exotic dance clubs” during their college years and many people are also aware that a fast, easy way to make cash is selling your sperm or plasma. But does that honestly make it news­worthy?

I don’t want to get into my personal feelings about the idea of being a stripper or selling your sperm for money. Obviously, there are many other jobs that will make you money for college. I merely want the Kernel to be more selective when it comes to picking their article ideas. While it was a very creative idea for an article, that does not make it the least bit interesting or worthy of being on the front page. If the staff of the Kernel wanted to inform people of the many different ways to make money, it could have been saved for the classifieds.

Now that you are an award-winning paper, please,­ Kernel, be more selective of the news you place on your pages and make it worth the reader’s time. Also, I never want to look at the Kernel and see half-naked women on a pole, no matter how attractive she is.

Julie Watkins

broadcast journalism junior