Students discuss campus safety

“I feel pretty safe on campus. I see UKPD, and the presence of police causes a detriment to crime. Most safety is really in our hands.”

John Biery, nursing junior

“I don’t worry about it too much. If something does happen, they (police) will be able to get here. With any system like that, there will be problems. I think UKPD is good, but they are understaffed.”

Chris Brown, animal science junior

“I think there is a lack of ability to prevent something like this. It’s how we respond to it that’s important. We don’t know when and where something will happen, so how do you plan for it? But we do need to be informed in a timely manner what’s going on.”

Scott Beckmeyer, bio/agriculture engineering senior

“When anything like that happens, you question safety. There is always room for improvement. I think UK has a great safety system, and there are some things you can’t necessarily prevent. They do need a better way to alert students.”

Michelle Studeny, biology freshman

“I feel really safe at UK. I have never been put in any kind of danger, but you can never be too safe.”

Julie Moore, undecided freshman

“I don’t feel threatened, but I don’t necessarily feel safe, either. My security level is not high, by any means. The potential for harm and the means to cause harm are still readily available.”

Brett Robinson, first-year law student

“I was wondering yesterday if they would send something out, but they never did. Nothing ever changes, and it probably never will. When I leave the library at 11 p.m., I’ll probably be afraid for my safety. There’s not much hope in it.”

Kelsey Webster, communications senior

“I feel pretty safe on campus. Occasionally, something does come up. These things will happen. But all-in-all, I think campus is a pretty safe place. UKPD does a good job.”

Jerrod Dempsey, fourth-year dental student

“I had my computer stolen last year, and they had no cameras in the library to help figure out who did it. There are people who aren’t students throughout the library. As far as campus goes, I feel pretty safe. But security at the library needs to be better.”

Taylor Gerlach, political science junior

“I feel pretty safe here. There is definitely more that UK could do. UK Alert certainly needs to be improved.”   Angela Rockstroh, communications sophomore

“I’m really not that aware of how UK monitors safety. I feel pretty safe on campus. UK Alert certainly needs to be improved. It is too slow.”

Jason Pulliam, undecided freshman

“I don’t feel unsafe here. I think things get blown out of proportion, and people get scared and start talking. (UK Alert) could absolutely be improved, but it’s not necessarily terrible.”

Karis Patterson, undecided freshman