TaxiCats offers cheap cab rides in tough times

UK students now have a cheaper and safer way to get around campus when driving or bike-riding isn’t an option.

TaxiCats, a program started by the All American Taxi company, is offering students with a valid UK ID a $2 cab ride per person. The company is working with Student Government, the Genesis Group and Parking and Transportation Services to provide the service, according to a September 25 Kernel article.

Though this program has boundaries, the taxi company offers a 10 percent discount to students who need to travel outside of the boundaries — Chevy Chase, South Broadway, Greg Page Apartments and Main Street.

Even though the average wait for a taxi is 15 to 20 minutes, according to the Kernel article, waiting this short time could be a safer alternative to walking home in the wee hours of the morning.

The Kernel commends All American Taxi, its partners and especially the drivers for offering cheap rides to UK students. According to Chris Martha, general manager of All American Taxi, all of the drivers are independent and chose to comply with this service to help out students in tough economic times.

With the state of the economy, we’re all looking for ways to save a few bucks.

Let’s take advantage of these cheap cab rides and show the company and drivers how much we appreciate their generosity.