Kentucky softball season kicks off with two top five wins in San Diego

Travis Fannon
Kentucky outfielder Rylea Smith hits the ball during the Kentucky vs. Parkland softball game on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023, at John Cropp Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 9-0. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Kentucky softball opened its 2024 season over the weekend in the San Diego State Season Kickoff tournament in San Diego, California, and came out with four wins and a loss.

The highlight of the tournament was the Cats defeating No. 3 Stanford twice – the first time they have defeated a top-five team in back-to-back games since 2021.

The tournament began on Friday, Feb. 9, with Kentucky recording a 5-1 victory over UC Santa Barbara. 

Senior Stephanie Schoonover started in the circle and was credited with the win, while senior Alexia Lacatena pitched in the last 1.2 innings and recorded a save.

The key play of the game came in the fifth inning, when fifth-year senior Rylea Smith hit a two-run shot that doubled Kentucky’s lead.

Senior Erin Coffel and freshman Ally Hutchins each batted in a run during the game as well. 

The first game against Stanford began with a solo home run by Kentucky junior Taylor Ebbs in the second inning.

Stanford tied the game three innings later with an RBI double, but in the sixth inning, senior Vanessa Nesby drove in the winning run with a single that scored Ebbs.

Jaden Vickers, a fifth-year senior starting her first game for Kentucky after transferring from Rutgers, pitched a complete game and did not allow a baserunner in the last two innings to help secure the win.

The Wildcats returned to the field to face Stanford again the following day, with Schoonover as the starting pitcher for the second time in the tournament.

Stanford jumped to an early one-run lead after scoring a run on a fielder’s choice. The lead remained until a solo shot by Wildcat sophomore Karissa Hamilton tied the game in the fifth inning.

The game went into extras after neither team could break the tie in the last two innings. A fielding error by Kentucky drove in a run for the Cardinal in the top of the eighth, putting the Cats in a must-score situation.

In the bottom of the eighth, a single by Smith led to Coffel scoring on an error, and Smith scored on a fielder’s choice two plays later to secure the win for the Wildcats.

Later that evening, Kentucky faced off against San Diego State, which was notably the first collegiate start for Wildcat freshman Sydney Langdon.

Kentucky infielder Grace Lorsung catches a fly ball during the Kentucky vs. Parkland softball game on Sunday, Sept. 24, 2023, at John Cropp Stadium in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 9-0. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff (Travis Fannon)

Langdon had a solid performance from the circle, pitching a complete game and only allowing three hits and two runs while also striking out ten.

However, the offense could only score one run despite tallying eight hits, resulting in a 2-1 loss.

The final game of the tournament took place on Sunday against Minnesota. Coffel helped the Wildcats start off right with a solo home run in the first inning to create an early lead.

After a few stagnant innings, a two-run double in the bottom of the fourth gave the Gophers a 2-1 lead.

Kentucky senior Grace Lorsung helped tie the game with another solo homer in the sixth, eventually leading the game to go into extras for a second time in the tournament.

Freshman Delani Sullivan started on second base at the start of the eighth per a new NCAA rule, and she scored on a throwing error after stealing third.

Schoonover, who did not enter the game until the seventh, was credited with the win after holding Minnesota scoreless and striking out two to clinch the win.

Throughout the tournament, Smith, Coffel and Hutchins were Kentucky’s top hitters, with Smith totaling six hits and Coffel and Hutchins recording four each. 

The pitching game was exceptional throughout the tournament for the Cats, especially from Schoonover, who finished with a 3-0 record and 19 strikeouts.

Kentucky will see action next at the ESPN Shriners Children’s Invitational starting on Thursday, Feb. 15, at the Eddie C. Moore Complex in Clearwater, Florida. 

The first game against North Carolina is slated to begin at 11 a.m. ET and will be televised on the ACC Network.