Kentucky men’s basketball earns commitment from four-star Travis Perry

Jack Weaver
Kentucky Wildcats head coach John Calipari coaches his team during the No. 3 Kentucky vs. No. 6 Vanderbilt mens basketball game in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals on Friday, March 10, 2023, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. Vanderbilt won 80-73. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

The Kentucky men’s basketball program secured its third recruit from the 2024 class on Sunday evening as four-star point guard Travis Perry announced his commitment to the Wildcats. 

Perry is a 6-foot, 2-inch point guard from Eddyville, Kentucky, and was named the 2022-23 Gatorade Kentucky Boys Basketball Player of the Year last year, making him the first player from Lyon County High School to win the award.

Perry is nationally ranked No. 80 overall in the 247Sports composite rankings while also being ranked as the sixth best point guard in the nation and No. 1 player in the state of Kentucky.

Perry led Lyon County High School to a 31-6 record while averaging 32.2 points, 6.2 rebounds and 5.8 assists per game before falling short in the KHSAA Sweet 16 state quarterfinals.

During the state tournament, Perry broke the career scoring record in Kentucky with 4,359 points, surpassing Kelly Coleman’s total of 4,337, which he broke from 1953-1956.

Perry will likely be teaming up with Kentucky native and last year’s Gatorade Kentucky Boys Basketball Player of the Year, and last year’s McDonald’s All-American player, Reed Sheppard in Lexington next year as Sheppard is in the full-swing of his freshman season with the Wildcats right now.

Perry averaged more points his junior season than Sheppard did his senior season as Sheppard averaged 22.5 points per game compared to Perry’s 32.2.

With Perry’s commitment, John Calipari now has three recruits heading to Lexington next fall as five-star Boogie Fland and four-star Somto Cyril recently signed their NLI with Kentucky just days before Perry announced his commitment. 

Perry is preparing for his senior year of high school basketball which is set to begin on Nov. 16 when the Lyons take on the Calloway County Lakers at Murray State University. 

Perry looks to keep continuing to impress while also working on completing his game before heading to Lexington next year.