Homecoming 2023 king and queen to be announced at halftime

Elizabeth Davis
The 2023 University of Kentucky homecoming court showcase, on Monday, Oct. 10, 2023.

The homecoming royal court had the chance to display their passion for the University of Kentucky during the 2023 Royalty Showcase.

Friends and family filed into the Harris Ballroom at the Gatton Student Center on Monday, Oct. 9 to watch the 10 contestants tell the audience about themselves through their talents. 

The night started with a Q&A section in which the candidates were asked to pick a question regarding life at UK out of a bowl and answer it. 

The second half of the event was dedicated to showing off what the candidates are passionate about by presenting something such as a dance, a hobby or showing off their academic achievements. 

Princess Magor Agbozo, a senior public health major and homecoming queen candidate, performed a dance she called a “journey through home.”

“Through my performances, I showed a sneak peek of the different aspects of home, the different countries I’ve lived in (Ghana and Qatar) and putting it together to show what home means to me,” Agbozo said.

She mentioned how being an international student made this experience especially unique and allowed her to work with her community. 

“Going all the way to homecoming court is such an honor to me because I’m able to show the UK community that there is a lot of representation on campus, people from all over the world, we’re here and we just want to be heard,” Agbozo said. 

Joshua Griffith, a senior neuroscience major and candidate for homecoming king, said he is passionate about beekeeping and his small honey business. 

“It has been a semi-hobby of mine since sophomore year of high school. It has turned into a really cool way to meet people and get involved in my community,” Griffith said. 

Griffith also said he feels that the homecoming game will be a “blur” for him.

“It has always been everybody’s dream to be down on Kroger Field, for me, ever since I was little. This university truly does represent the entire state,” Griffith said. 

Senior biology major Shannon Nguyen, another candidate for homecoming queen, performed a traditional Vietnamese dance as her talent. 

“It was really impactful for me to share that piece of my culture; especially growing up in Kentucky,” Nguyen said. 

Nguyen said how much of an honor it is to have a platform where she can be a role model.

“I’ve always wanted to make a positive impact on UK and be someone that others can look up to,” Nguyen said. 

The night concluded with a ceremony honoring the candidates and the voting for 2023 homecoming court going live on the University of Kentucky Alumni website, which can be found here.  

UK’s 2023 homecoming king and queen will be crowned Saturday, Oct. 14 at halftime during the Kentucky vs. Missouri football game at 7:30 p.m. 

More information about 2023 homecoming events can be found here.