Kentucky Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart’s contract extended until 2028

Jack Weaver
Kentucky athletics director Mitch Barnhart watches the Kentucky vs. No. 1 South Carolina womens basketball game on Thursday, Jan. 12, 2023, at Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, Kentucky. South Carolina won 95-66. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Kentucky Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart received a contract extension through June 2028, University President Eli Capilouto announced on Friday.

“We have, in my judgment, the nation’s best athletics director,” Capiluto said in the announcement. “Continuing that leadership at such a critical juncture and ensuring ongoing stability amidst so much change is the right thing to do for UK Athletics.”

The agreement does not change Barnhart’s base salary, but the retention incentives increased by $100,000 for the first year and $50,000 for the second and third years.

Barnhart has witnessed six Kentucky athletics teams win national championships and has also brought about $400 million worth of new and renovated facilities during his tenure.

“My enthusiasm for the job and commitment to being the best program in the country is as strong as it has ever been and I remain incredibly passionate about helping our students succeed in the classroom, on the fields of play, and most importantly, in life,” Barnhart told UK Athletics.

Barnhart is entering his 22nd season at the head of Kentucky athletics, making him the longest serving athletic director in the SEC.

At the time of writing Barnhart is overseeing numerous major projects such as that of a indoor track and field facility that is being erected at the former site of Cliff Hagan Stadium, which itself became redundant with the construction of the state of the art Kentucky Proud Park which just recently hosted an NCAA Tournament Regional in the spring.

The making of the track facility came as part of an agreement with football coach Mark Stoops, the winningest coach in Kentucky football history, for a football specific indoor practice facility.

On top of those developments, Memorial Coliseum, the home of Kentucky volleyball, STUNT and women’s basketball, is also currently undergoing renovations to bring the stadium into the modern day after numerous complaints of its outdated nature. Upon its completion the stadium will feature two recent and prominent banners, that of the first volleyball national championship in school history and the women’s SEC Tournament championship which, when it was won, was the first time in 40 years the Cats had won the title.

With a new athletic season officially underway, Barnhart will hope to oversee further growth and development across the board for UK Athletics.

View Comments (2)