Kentucky point guard Cason Wallace drafted No. 10 overall, traded to Thunder in 2023 NBA Draft

Jack Weaver

Kentucky Wildcats guard Cason Wallace (22) shoots the ball during the No. 6 Kentucky vs. No. 3 Kansas State mens basketball game in the second round of the NCAA Tournament on Sunday, March 19, 2023, at Greensboro Coliseum in Greensboro, North Carolina. Kansas State won 75-69. Photo by Jack Weaver | Staff

Cole Parke, Sports Editor

Kentucky mens basketball point guard Cason Wallace was drafted No.10 overall by the Dallas Mavericks and was immediately traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder in the 2023 NBA Draft on Thursday.

Wallace played one season in Lexington as a true freshman, joining the program as a five-star prospect.

Originally sharing his role with veteran Sahvir Wheeler, who departed the program in the offseason for Washington, Wallace was able to take over primary point guard duties after an injury to the latter.

Playing and starting in 32 games for the Cats, Wallace played over 1,000 minutes and averaged 11.7 points and 3.7 rebounds per game.

His career high in points was 27, which he recorded against Florida A&M in mid December, while his game-high for minutes came much earlier in the Champions Classic against Michigan State when he was on the floor for 44 minutes.

Wallace also recorded 11 assists in a road game against Mississippi State, the second most assists on the road by a freshman in program history.

He was also named the MVP of Kentucky’s London Showcase game against Michigan while also garnering SEC Freshman of the Week honors throughout the season.

He finished the season second in the SEC in assists per game, fourth in assists-to-turnover ratio and fourth in steals per game.

As such, it was little surprise when Wallace, a projected lottery pick, announced he would be departing Kentucky after just one season in early April.

Now joining the Thunder, Wallace will take the court alongside former Wildcats Shai Gilgeous-Alexander (2017-2018) and Olivier Sarr (2020-2021).