No. 10 Kentucky baseball shut out 3-0 by Georgia in game one of doubleheader

Travis Fannon

Kentucky Wildcats head coach Nick Mingione and infielder Jase Felker (2) stand at third base during the No. 18 Kentucky vs. No. 25 Missouri baseball game on Saturday, April 1, 2023, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 10-0. Photo by Travis Fannon | Staff

Parker Scott, Reporter

No. 10 Kentucky baseball (27-4) came up short against Georgia (17-14) on the road on Sunday in the first game of a doubleheader, which was being played due to inclement weather on Saturday.

Left-handed graduate student Tyler Bosma was the starting pitcher for the game, and he pitched three innings with two runs allowed.

Each team got three straight outs in the first inning before Kentucky got a few runners on in the top of the second, but two fielder’s choices and a groundout diminished any scoring chances.

In the bottom of the third, the Bulldogs scored two runs, one from an RBI double and the other from an RBI single, to take a 2-0 lead.

Both teams got two hits in the fourth inning, including a double by Kentucky sophomore Ryan Waldschmidt, but the score remained the same in the end.

Georgia added one more run in the bottom of the sixth from an RBI fielder’s choice and, despite a leadoff double from sophomore Nolan McCarthy in the seventh, Kentucky could not catch up and lost the game.

Bosma was credited with the loss, bringing his season record to 4-2. McCarthy was 3-for-3 in the game with three hits.

With the loss Kentucky will look to rebound in game two of the double header against the Bulldogs with the series on the line.