Incident of assault on UK campus under investigation

Kristen Roberts, Reporter

UK published a news release on Nov. 7 condemning racial violence and updating the campus on the student conduct investigation following a UK student arrest made in Boyd Hall early Sunday morning.

“Students, including a student employee working an overnight shift at the front desk, were victims of violence and racism committed by another UK student,” the release said.

The UK student, identified as Sophia Rosing, is facing criminal charges and appeared in court Monday for an arraignment hearing, where she entered a plea of not guilty. She has since been released on a $10,000 bond from the Fayette County Detention Center and will appear in court again next week.

“The university strongly condemns this behavior and will not tolerate it under any circumstance,” the release said. “The safety and well-being of the UK community is our top priority.”

The UK Office of Student Conduct said it began the disciplinary review process immediately and is abiding by university policies. It linked an overview of the student conduct process as well as frequently asked questions to the release.

“Teams in UK’s Office for Student Success are working with the student victims who were subject to the violence and racism to offer support,” the release said. “Additionally, the office communicated with the student body Sunday with information and support resources available to them.”

The university said it will continue to give updates to the campus community and public as more information becomes available.