Suspects in off-campus shooting appear for preliminary hearing

Abbey Cutrer

Juan Guerrero-Zendejas walks into the courtroom during a preliminary hearing on a charge of tampering with physical evidence on Tuesday, Oct. 18, 2022, at the Robert F. Stephens District Courthouse in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Abbey Cutrer | Kentucky Kernel

Hannah Stanley, News Editor

On Oct. 18, Jason Almanza-Arroyo and Juan Guerrero-Zendejas attended a preliminary hearing for their alleged involvement in an off-campus shooting.

Almanza-Arroyo, 19, and Guerrero-Zendejas, 20, were arrested based on physical descriptions of tattoos and attire, as well as an anonymous tip.

Alleged shooting victims Christine Sprague, sophomore, and Madison Garrett, sophomore, identified themselves to the Kernel and attended the hearing for their own personal interests. Both were asked by Judge Lindsay Hughes Thurston if they wanted to speak, but they shook their heads no.

Sprague walked into the courtroom on crutches after she sustained leg and foot injuries. Garrett sustained injuries to her leg and shin and said she is now off of crutches.

Almanza-Arroyo allegedly fired a shot early in the morning on Sept. 8 at a fraternity rush event with 10 counts of second degree assault, in addition to multiple other charges.

Guerrero-Zendejas is being charged with one count of tampering with physical evidence.

Thurston stated there is a probable cause of the gun being handed off from Almanza-Arroyo to Guerrero-Zendejas based on Guerrero-Zendejas being located a block away and going in the opposite direction to the scene of the event and both individuals having pending cases together.

Both cases for Almanza-Arroyo and Guerrero-Zendejas will be going to the grand jury at a later date.