Student government program helps freshmen expand resources

By McKenna Horsley [email protected] The UK Student Government Association is working to get more freshmen involved in student leadership opportunities across campus by recruiting for the Leadership Development Program. “The Leadership Development Program prepares students for long-term success and enables them to find their niche within the UK Community,” student body Vice President Jenna Hollinden said. Amitriptyline When a freshman is accepted into LDP, they will have an opportunity to get involved with the SGA and other organizations on campus. LDP participants will explore the Students Activities Board, DanceBlue, Center for Community Outreach, WRFL and Leadership Exchange Ambassadors. “It is a great way to get involved on campus. UK is a big place, and LDP helps you connect with cool people,” integrated strategic communication sophomore Gammon Fain said. Fain said his favorite experience was when the LDP visited Keeneland, which is also on this year’s agenda. LDP students can expect to tour the famous horse racing course, as well as the historic Henry Clay estate, Ashland, where they will meet Lexington Mayor Jim Gray. “The program is designed to also get students involved in Lexington,” Fain said. Nursing sophomore Alli Overfield also said freshmen should go through the application process, which includes a Celexa written application to submit online and a two-part interview process. Overfield cites Hollinden as her inspiration to become a part of LDP. “I am glad I listened to her advice to push me out of my comfort zone and to interview for LDP, as it was one of the most rewarding experiences I had freshman year,” said Overfield, who said she cultivated relationships with other inspiring student leaders in her class. “We are looking students who are highly motivated and have leadership experiences,” said Weston Loyd, director of communications for SGA and an integrated strategic communication senior. According to Loyd, LDP wants students who want to “get out of their comfort zone” and “grow as a leader.” Last year, LDP abilify reviews received over 200 applications, which were evaluated on leadership skills, potential, academic achievement and dedication to community service. The top forty students are chosen to become a part of LDP. “We are expecting high volumes of applicants and are looking forward to the best class of the Leadership Development Program,” Loyd said. Applications are due by Monday, Sept. 7 at 11:59 p.m. Students can visit uksga.org to apply.