UK student trio playing their way to local fame

Jacob Slone and Jarad Sells of the band Electric Kool Aid play saxophone outside of Whitehall Classroom building. Thursday, April 14, 2016 in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Joel Repoley | Staff.

Morgan Lloyd

Students no longer have to walk to class in silence. Campus can now enjoy the sounds of saxaphones and drums near the Whitehall Classroom Building and The 90.

The student trio, Electric Koolaid, is gaining familiarity among students, faculty and staff as they perform the music they love throughout campus.

Music is no stranger for Jared Sells, Eliot Johnson and Jacob Slone. The three music education majors have been playing for the past 10 to 12 years but just decided to form the band in Feburary.

The trio has played together in several larger ensembles, as well as their music fraternity, Phi Mu Alpha, but decided to take their talent to the streets of campus after gaining inspiration from YouTube videos and the band “Too Many Zooz.”

The band consists of Sells and Slone playing saxophones and Johnson playing the drums.

“There is a split between the people who know us from Fine Arts and people who are just learning about us,” Slone said.

The group members think of their style as brass-house music, or music that is energizing and makes people want to dance. They decide on a few beats before live street performances, but they communicate and signal with one another to improvise and to coordinate some solos.

The group often plays at the spur of the moment,  but it also announces playing times and locations on their social media sites.

“Two hours before, I go, ‘Hey let’s play tonight,’ and we played in front of Taco Bell that night,” Slone said.

The group has played near Whitehall, The 90 and the Chemistry-Physics Building, but Sells, Johnson and Slone hope to spread their reach and play at different places across campus.

Electric Koolaid hopes to energize students and professors throughout the day by sharing their talents and having a good time doing what they love. The group is currently working to increase its promotion while keeping a fun, laid-back style.

“People will come up and say we made their day,” Sells said. “It’s really cool.”

The group has only been playing throughout campus for the past month, but it has already created a following on social media. The members hope to continue their journey by branching out more on campus and playing more often. Eventually, they hope to get their first official booking, create a logo and have stickers to pass out to listeners and further promote the band.

To follow the brass-house-styled student trio on their musical journey and to stay up to date on playing times and performances, follow them on Facebook and on Twitter, @electrickooluk.