Faculty votes for board of trustee representatives

Bailey Vandiver

UK faculty voted in the initial round of faculty trustee elections on Wednesday.

The top three candidates, Professor Robert B. Grossman of the College of Arts and Sciences, Dr. Patrick C. McGrath of the College of Medicine and Professor Margaret Mohr-Schroeder of the College of Education, advanced to the second round of voting.

Grossman is a professor of chemistry and the incumbent for this seat on the board. He said he had been active in university governance even before he became a trustee.

“I feel that I’ve been an effective trustee the last few years, earning the trust and respect of the appointed trustees, and striving to keep the academic mission of the university at the forefront of our discussions,” Grossman said.

Grossman’s biggest aims are protecting tenure, guiding the development of disciplinary processes and “emphasizing that all parts of the university, not just the hard sciences and medicine, are important to the overall mission of the university,” he said.

McGrath is a professor of surgery, the Ward O. Griffen Endowed Chair in Surgery, Chief of General Surgery and the Section Head of Surgical Oncology.

Mohr-Schroeder is an associate professor of STEM education, specifically mathematics. She is also the chair of the secondary mathematics education program.

Dr. Sidney W. Whiteheart of the College of Medicine and Professor Christopher W. Frost were candidates, but will not advance to the final round of voting.

Two faculty representatives serve on the Board of Trustees. Dr. Lee X. Blonder of the College of Medicine is still serving her term.

The three final candidates will be able to share their election statements with all UK faculty via a UK Trustee Election listserv.

The final round of voting opens at noon on April 19 and closes at noon on April 26.