UK Police offers free programs to increase safety

Kaitlyn Skovran

Several free programs on personal safety and police and emergency response procedures are being offered by the UK Police Department with the intent on educating the UK community and the larger Central Kentucky area.

According to a campus-wide email from UK Police, there are four classes UKPD is offering: Citizens Police Academy, Campus Community Emergency Response Team, Active Aggressor Training and S.T.A.R.R. Women’s Self-Defense. Some of the courses are open to the public while others are for UK faculty and staff only.

The S.T.A.R.R. Women’s Self-Defense program is a three-day training course on reducing the risk of assault, increasing awareness and learning offensive and defensive techniques. At the end of the three days, participants get the opportunity to engage in a simulated fight against a UKPD officer. Participants will also receive a free t-shirt upon completion of the course. The program is open to all female students, staff, faculty and public. The first class is on Monday, Sept. 18 at 6 p.m. in the basement of Blazer Dining Hall. More information can be found here.

The Citizens Police Academy is a 10-week course starting on Tuesday, Sept. 12 from 6-9 p.m. The program is aimed at teaching participants a better understanding of the functions and responsibilities of law enforcement. Students, faculty and staff are welcome. Participants will also receive free dinner and a t-shirt upon completion of the course. For more information about signing up, contact Officer Amy Boatman at [email protected].

Active Aggressor Training is a one-hour course teaching participants an understanding of the reaction of law enforcement responders in an active aggressor situation. The first course is at noon Thursday, Sept. 28 in Blazer Dining Hall.

The Campus Community Emergency Response Team is a course for UK faculty and staff that meets over the course of five weeks to coordinate effective campus disaster preparedness and disaster response skills. There will be a simulated mass casualty exercise. Participants will receive a free backpack with emergency supplies. The first class is Wednesday, Oct. 12 starting at 8:30 a.m. and going until 4:30 p.m. at The 90.