UKPD, swim team among groups showing awareness for breast cancer

The University of Kentucky women’s swim team wore pink swim caps for breast cancer awareness during the meet against Vanderbilt University on Wednesday, October 4, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Kaitlyn Skovran

Over the past few weeks, students on campus have noticed a change in color with the leaves turning from green to red, yellow and orange; but that isn’t the only color students and faculty have been seeing.

Pink has been popping up on UK’s campus.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness month, so people across campus are showing their support by wearing pink.

The UK Police Department had special uniforms made with pink embroidery around the lettering of their names and on the brims of their hats to raise awareness about the disease which affects 1 in 8 women in their lifetime, according to the National Breast Cancer Foundation.

“The idea came to me about 10 years ago as a way to show support and to raise awareness in the community about breast cancer,” UK Police Chief Joe Monroe said.

Over the years, the police department has not been the only organization on campus helping bring to light a disease which also affects men. Though rare, the disease can be found in males and is less common, but 1 in 1,000 men will still face a breast cancer diagnosis.

Another group on campus showing its support is the swimming and diving team.

The members’ way of showing their support is by wearing pink caps instead of their regular season wear.

Rachael Freeman, a senior at UK, said she has been wearing the pink cap for as long as she can remember and knows the team has been doing it since before she started.

Assistant Athletics Director and Media Relations spokesperson Tony Neely said several other UK Athletics teams have honored Breast Cancer Awareness month as well.

Earlier in the month, the UK Football team and coaches displayed a splash of pink during the game against Missouri. The players displayed a pink ribbon decal on their helmets and the coaches wore pink ribbons pinned to their shirts.

The UK volleyball team wore pink hair bows during their Oct. 11 game against Texas A&M. Neely said the women’s basketball team normally does a “Pink Game” once its season gets started.

Sigma Lambda Gamma is holding a Pink Out week on campus and Delta Sigma Theta is planning to have a breast cancer vigil.

There are many ways for students and faculty to get involved in raising awareness for breast cancer. The National Breast Cancer Foundation is always accepting donations, which goes toward helping men and women get free screenings, education and programs to help them deal with the daily effects of having breast cancer.