UK women’s basketball gets big win at Arkansas

Kentucky freshman center Dorie Harrison looks for a pass during the game against Louisville on Sunday, December 17, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky was defeated 87-63. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Cody Ryan

The UK women’s basketball team won its second consecutive game on Monday night after beating Arkansas 76-65 in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

The win improves Kentucky’s record to 11-11, including 3-5 in SEC play. This is the first time Kentucky has won back-to-back games since early December.

Freshman Dorie Harrison had a career-high 16 points on 5-14 shooting and 6-6 from the free throw line. Harrison has upped her career high in three consecutive games.

The Cats had four other scorers finish with double-digit points, including Maci Morris, Taylor Murray, Makenzie Cann and Amanda Paschal.

The Cats managed to hold the Razorbacks to 38 percent shooting from the floor while shooting 46 percent themselves. After shooting 65 percent the previous game, the Cats picked up where they left off by knocking down 55 percent of their shots in the first half. UK had a 17-point lead at the end of the first half.

Kentucky’s bench played a major role in the win, outscoring Arkansas’ bench 31-10. Harrison and Paschal were the biggest contributors toward Kentucky’s bench points, while the other five came from Jaida Roper.

The Cats were also dominant in the paint, where they scored 16 more points than the Razorbacks.

In the paint, Kentucky outrebounded Arkansas 35-33. Freshman Keke McKinney led the way with 12 rebounds, which was a career high.

Kentucky led for 35:28 of the game and really separated themselves in the second quarter, outscoring the Razorbacks 22-12.

From 6:24 in the second quarter to the ending of the game, the Cats would hold a double-digit lead, which grew to as much as 28 in the third quarter.

The Razorbacks would outscore Kentucky 24-12 in the final quarter, and finish on an 8-0 run, but by that point it was too late to overcome the Cats’ big lead.

UK will next take on Auburn in Memorial Coliseum on Thursday, Feb. 1. Tipoff is at 7 p.m.