UK down in cross-state blood donation battle; still time to donate

Sophomore Maddie Bland donated blood at the Singletary Center for the Arts at University of Kentucky in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Josh Mott | Staff file photo

Kernel News Staff

In a week-long, cross-state blood donation competition, central Kentuckians are losing by a slim margin to their southern neighbors.

But it’s not too late to avoid a repeat of last Saturday’s football loss, as there are still plenty of opportunities to donate blood across UK’s campus.

The 31st annual Big Blue Crush blood donation challenge— put on in Kentucky by the Kentucky Blood Center— pits UK fans against the folks in Knoxville in a race to see who can muster the most blood donors in a single week, a press release stated. The competition began Monday and as of Wednesday morning, Knoxville is leading the competition 1,168 to 1,043.

“Tennessee is definitely keeping up the pressure. We’re depending on the Big Blue Nation to step up and show up to save lives the rest of this week,” said Martha Osborne, Vice President of Marketing for Kentucky Blood Center, in a press release.

The Kentucky Blood Center and the Medic Regional Blood Center in Knoxville put on the competition every year to ensure that both banks have a sufficient supply of blood through the holiday season, according to the press release.

UK has won the competition the past eight years and leads the all-time competition with 17 wins, 12 losses and a tie. Students, faculty and staff who donate through Friday will receive a $10 Amazon gift card, a blue tie-dye shirt that reads “Bleed Blue” and a chance a to win an Apple Watch and a pair of tickets to the UK-Louisville football game. 

Here’s where you can donate on campus for the rest of this week:

• Student Center (Room 330AB) – Wednesday thru Friday, 10 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

• WT Young Library (Bloodmobile in Visitor’s Lot) – Wednesday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.

• Singletary Center for the Arts – Wednesday, 10 am to 6 p.m. & Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

• Johnson Center – Thursday, 1 to 7 p.m.

• Medical Center (Bloodmobile at employee Drop Off on Rose St.) – Thursday & Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.