Kentucky big man Ugonna Onyenso hires agent, declares for 2024 NBA Draft

Isaiah Pinto
Kentucky forward Ugonna Onyenso watches on during the No. 6 Kentucky vs. Missouri men’s basketball game on Tuesday, Jan. 9, 2024, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 90-77. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

Kentucky big man Ugonna Onyenso joined a long list of Wildcats to announce their departure from Kentucky, declaring for the 2024 NBA Draft.

Onyenso, a former four-star prospect, came to Kentucky after reclassifying out of Putnam Science Academy. 

Kentucky forward Ugonna Onyenso puts his head in his hands after the No. 3 Kentucky vs. No. 14 Oakland mens basketball game in the first round of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday, March 21, 2024, at the PPG Paints Arena in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Kentucky lost 80-76. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff (Samuel Colmar)

In his first season with Kentucky Onyenso averaged 2.5 points per game with 2.6 rebounds and one block.

He promptly entered the transfer portal following his freshman season but returned to Lexington, with fans excited for his potential.

This excitement would be somewhat stifled when Onyenso suffered an injury in the offseason that would cause him to miss the first portion of the season.

When he finally returned, it was to mixed results.

While he had his highs, such as his 10 block game versus Ole Miss, he also had quite a few lows, such as his two point, two block and two rebound showing in the SEC Tournament.

All in all, Onyenso averaged 3.6 points and 4.8 rebounds per game in his second season with the Cats.

While many expected Onyenso to transfer following the departure of head coach John Calipari for Arkansas and the hiring of Mark Pope, the big man had other ideas.

Speaking to ESPN, Onyenso announced he was, “Not thinking about coming back to college,” and was, “100% focused on the NBA Draft.”

Onyenso joined Justin Edwards and Rob Dillingham in officially declaring for the 2024 NBA Draft.