Kentucky baseball jumps to No. 3 of D1Baseball top 25

Isaiah Pinto
Kentucky Wildcats pitcher Drew Lafferty pitches the ball during the Kentucky vs. Eastern Kentucky baseball game on Tuesday, Mar. 5, 2024, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 10-0. Photo by Isaiah Pinto | Staff

Kentucky baseball (30-5 14-1 SEC) moved up five spots to No. 3 in the D1Baseball Top 25 week 10 rankings.

The Wildcats finished 3-1 on a week that began with a midweek road loss against Samford and ended with sweeping Auburn on the road.

Kentucky infielder Ryan Nicholson prepares to hit during the Kentucky vs Auburn baseball game on Saturday, April 13, 2024, at Plainsman Park in Auburn, Alabama. Kentucky won 13-8. Photo provided by Auburn Athletics

Kentucky is among eight teams in the SEC that can be found throughout the rankings.

There was a new No. 1 in the rankings this week as Texas A&M moved up two spots from No. 3 and now holds the top spot after a 4-0 week. The Aggies began their week with a win over UTSA before sweeping a weekend home series against Vanderbilt.

Sliding down one spot to No. 2 was Arkansas, who finished 3-2 on the week. The Razorbacks won both of their midweek games against San Jose State before heading to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, for a weekend series against the Tide. Arkansas took game one, but dropped the remaining two and the series.

Right behind the Wildcats, remaining at No. 4, is Tennessee, which finished 4-0 on the week. The Volunteers defeated Alabama A&M in a midweek battle and swept the LSU Tigers in a home weekend series.

Falling the furthest in this week’s rankings was No. 13 Vanderbilt, who fell seven spots from No. 6 in the rankings after finishing the week 1-3. The Commodores won their midweek game against Middle Tennessee before being swept in a weekend road series against Texas A&M.

Making the biggest climb in the rankings was No. 18 Alabama, which climbed eight spots from No. 25 after finishing 2-2 on the week. The Crimson Tide dropped its midweek game against South Alabama before welcoming Arkansas into Tuscaloosa for a weekend series. The Tide dropped the first game, but bounced back nicely by winning the next two and the series.

One of the two new SEC teams in the rankings was No. 20 South Carolina, who finished 3-1 on the week. The Gamecocks began their week by upsetting then No. 13 North Carolina on the road before heading down to Gainesville, Florida, to face then No. 24 Florida. The Gamecocks took the first two games and the series before falling in the series finale.

Rounding out the SEC and the second newbie to the rankings was No. 24 Georgia, who finished its week of play 3-1. The Bulldogs defeated Kennesaw State in a midweek battle before welcoming the Ole Miss Rebels into Athens for a three-game weekend set. The Bulldogs took the first game before falling in game two, but ultimately won the series in game three.

Arizona and West Virginia also join South Carolina and Georgia as new teams in the rankings replacing UCF, Mississippi State, Nebraska and Florida.

1. Texas A&M Aggies (32-4) 
  2. Arkansas Razorbacks (30-5) 
  3. Kentucky Wildcats (30-5) 
  4. Tennessee Razorbacks (30-6)
  5. Oregon State Beavers (29-5) 
  6. Clemson Tigers (29-6) 
  7. Duke Blue Devils (26-10) 
  8. Florida State Seminoles (30-5) 
  9. East Carolina Pirates (27-8) 
  10. Virginia Cavaliers (28-8) 
  11. North Carolina Tarheels (29-7) 
  12. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (24-11) 
  13. Vanderbilt Commodores (26-10) 
  14. Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns (28-9) 
  15. Oklahoma State Cowboys (25-11) 
  16. Oregon Ducks (25-10) 
  17. UC Irvine Anteaters (25-7) 
  18. Alabama Crimson Tide (24-12) 
  19. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (24-11) 
  20. South Carolina Gamecocks (25-11) 
  21. Arizona Wildcats (21-13)
  22. West Virginia Mountaineers (22-13) 
  23. Virginia Tech Hokies (23-10) 
  24. Georgia Bulldogs (27-9) 
  25. Dallas Baptist Patriots (26-8)