Remember your manners this spring break

Illustration by Akhila Nadimpalli

For most of my life, spring break has been my favorite time of the year.

The latter half of the school year always turns into an uphill battle, and that week-long break is exactly what I need to reset everything.

However, spring break has turned from a fun reset during the year to an overcrowded escapade where some set out to wreak the most havoc possible.

A TikTok video from a local Miami reporter explains the crowds the area saw in 2022 and the unexpected curfew they had to put into place after two shootings occurred in one weekend.

Bridgette Matter stated, “The city’s mayor says that Miami beach just isn’t built for these type of crowds.”

And cities are already starting to see the waves of tourists pour in for this spring break season.

A video from NBC 6 South Florida shows a crowd of spring breakers already gathering in Miami Beach on March 1.

Due to all of the outrageous behavior, many popular spring break destinations are trying to reclaim their cities.

After 488 arrests and two deadly shootings in previous spring break seasons, Miami Beach officials are planning for a strict approach to the large crowds.

Miami Beach entrances will be limited, with bag checkpoints at each access point. There is no alcohol or smoking permitted on the beach, and there are no coolers, inflatables, tents or tables allowed either. Garage parking will run visitors $100.

Panama City Beach in Florida, a popular college spring break trip since the early 2000s, has also taken action by outlining specific rules and reminders for visitors during the season.

During the month of March there is no alcohol allowed on the beach in Panama City, and there are no alcohol sales between 2 a.m and 7 a.m. Local law enforcement also reiterates some basic rules, like, “No loitering in parking lots or on the shoulder of the road.”

Similar to Miami Beach, Panama City had an increase in arrests during previous spring break seasons. In 2022, local police arrested 161 and seized 75 guns.

It’s sad and honestly embarrassing that locals have to remind us to practice what should be basic etiquette when visiting.

Some of my friends laugh at me because I want what we like to call a “grandma vacation,” which essentially means I just want to sit by the water all day and do nothing else.

To me, that’s what a vacation is meant to be instead of going out looking for trouble.

I understand that we are college students and spring break is meant to be our time to have fun, but there are ways to do so that don’t require forgetting your manners.

Have fun and enjoy your break, but remember to stay safe and respect the locals.