Patrick Towles to transfer

Quarterback Patrick Towles of the Kentucky Wildcats runs during the second half of the game against the Louisville Cardinals at Papa Johns Cardinals Stadium on Saturday, November 29, 2014 in Louisville, Ky. Louisville defeated Kentucky 44-40. Photo by Michael Reaves

By Jordan Ondrof

UK quarterback Patrick Towles announced on his Instagram that he will be transferring from the program.

“I would like to thank the University of Kentucky for giving me the opportunity to achieve my childhood dream of playing quarterback for the WildCats. The last four years have been ones that I will truly cherish for the rest of my life. Although I wish my time here in Lexington could have ended another way, I’m eternally grateful. I’ve decided to transfer to play my fifth year at another university. Thank you to Coach Stoops, Coach Dawson, Mitch Barnhart, my teammates, the Big Blue Nation and the entire Kentucky Athletics Department for allowing me to achieve my lifelong dream. I will truly bleed blue til the day I die,” Towles wrote.

The quarterback from Ft. Thomas, Ky.,  was redshirted his sophomore year (2013) and started all but two games for the Cats this season.

“I thank Patrick for everything he’s done for our team,” Stoops said. “I understand his decision and support him. He truly gave everything he had and I wish him nothing but the best.”

Head coach Mark Stoops stuck with Towles most of the season, but elected to start freshman Drew Barker for the last two games of the regular season.

Towles threw nine touchdowns and 14 interceptions this season.