Tobacco-Free Tailgate snuffs out smoking

By Darias King

The Tobacco-Free Tailgate celebrated UK’s 6th year as a tobacco free campus Thursday afternoon.

Volunteers gave out free s’mores, warm chili and hot cocoa on the Rose Street Walkway in an event called the “Great American Smokeout,” which was sponsored by the UK Tobacco-free Task Force, University Health Service, Student Health Advisory Council and the College of Pharmacy.

“You see signs that say, ‘No Smoking Campus, No Smoking Campus,’ but people are still smoking,” public health graduate student Courtney Blondino said. “Making this initiative is a great step to experiencing a healthier college lifestyle.”

Students, staff and faculty participated in the Great American Smokeout by saying “no” to tobacco use. Booths lined the walkway with information about tobacco and provided resources for quitting smoking. One handout claimed one hour of hookah smoke is equivalent to 200 cigarettes.

Those who came could participate in writing notes of inspiration to others with a habit or playing a game of corn hole to score a shirt.

UK HealthCare Health Education Supervisor Fadyia Lowe said many people on campus support having a tobacco-free learning environment and called for people to stand up to big tobacco companies

“Kentucky is the number one state when it comes to deaths regarding tobacco,” Lowe said. “Today we want to empower people to help others and help themselves be healthier.”

Members of the UK community were invited to enroll in the iQuit program in MyUK or pick up a free quit kit at UHS. Lowe stressed the importance of taking advantage of resources while young.

“The resources for quitting are free, we can help,” Lowe said. “If you are a student, staff or faculty (member), the time to quit is while you’re working or while you’re a student because it’s free.”

Resources provided by University Health Service include nicotine replacement products like gum, lozenges and patches, as well as free tobacco counseling, all at no cost.

Some students like undecided freshman Paul Lee feel that the tobacco-free policy represents a safer and healthier campus.

“It makes breathing the air better for those who would be impacted,” he said. “Secondhand smoke is a deadly thing and I think having a tobacco free campus shows how healthy students can be.”

Individuals seeking help are encouraged to visit the tobacco free website at uky.edu/TobaccoFree.