#EffYourBeautyStandards empowers young people

Hashtags can connect people across the world and inspire change through campaigns like #EffYourBeautyStandards.

This campaign plasters social media with beautiful men and women of all ethnicities and sizes. Its goal is to inspire a message of empowerment and posts pushing for “body love.”

The campaign pushes all people to love themselves by, “embracing your body and being unapologetic,” according to the #EffYourBeautyStandards Facebook page.

This month the Huffington Post published a story of a woman who beat anorexia and now champions body love like the #EffYourBeautyStandards campaign. Megan Jayne, a 22-year-old from Colchester, England, was diagnosed with anorexia when she was 14.

“It took me two years to claw my way out of anorexia,” Jayne said on her website, Bodyposipanda.com. “Two years, one institutionalization, one hospitalization and countless tears from the family members’ hearts I’d broken along the way.”

It is finally time for our society to push citizens to love themselves. Body dysmorphia and poor self-image because of physical appearance can lead to eating disorders, depression and having little to no self-confidence. People loving their own body can be a lifesaver for many Americans.

According to the National Eating Disorders Association, 42 percent of first to third grade girls want to be thinner and 81 percent of 10-year-olds are afraid of being fat.

Because of poor self-image standards and perceptions of beauty, our society needs a cause like #EffYourBeautyStandards to create a culture of body love.

According to NEDA, the average American woman is 5’4” and weighs 165 pounds, but the average Miss America winner is 5’7” and weighs 121 pounds.

Young girls and boys are really influenced by the media, and this is where body issues first start.

Of American elementary school girls who read magazines, 69 percent said the pictures influence their concept of the ideal body shape, while 47 percent said the pictures make them want to lose weight, according to NEDA.

“I stopped tearing my body apart for its physical appearance, and started appreciating everything that it let me do,” Jayne said.

“Swimsuits are scary for everyone,” singer and songwriter Mary Lambert said on her website. “We are all complex. Everyone is breaking and healing and hating all at the same time. You are not exempt. I am not exempt.”

Young girls and boys need positive role models and a consensus among members of society to crusade for body love to combat unrealistic beauty standards. So for the young boys and girls: #EffYourBeautyStandards, they are unnecessary.