Bourbon n’ Toulouse brings the bayou to Lexington

As hot and home-style as authentic New Orleans cuisine, Bourbon n’ Toulouse has been serving Lexingtonians and UK students Bayou bliss since 2004. B n’ T is no stranger to many people in the area, but how is it that Lexington landed its own slice of New Orleans?

“We went into it thinking, ‘we’re not gonna make it,’” said owner Will Pieratt. “We thought it would be fun to try, a good story to tell our kids about someday.” Fast forward 11 years and they’re still here serving tasty meals on the daily.

But funding the startup was no small task, Pieratt said.

“We had some family help, but I only had about $2,000 to my name. Kevin (Heathcoat, the other owner) had a little bit more,” Pieratt said. What the tandem did next could be considered slightly suspect from a business perspective, but makes for an awesome story now. “We took seven credit cards and dumped the credit into a bank account so it looked like cash.”

Next, they convinced the property manager to take a chance on them, and when he agreed Pieratt and Heathcoat officially opened Bourbon n’ Toulouse.

While he had never been a restaurant owner, Pieratt was no stranger to Cajun food and the New Orleans lifestyle. Initially, he had dreams of being a rock star, but eventually decided to pursue something a little more practical.

As a 20-year-old, Pieratt got his first job at Jozo’s Bayou Gumbo.

“I learned to cook by proxy,” he said, “and learned the lifestyle.” He became the Jozo’s owner’s right hand man, traveling to New Orleans, learning how to cook the New Orleans way and really absorbing everything about the culture.

Filled to the brim with great food, good times and smiles all around, Bourbon n’ Toulouse customers ­— like its owners — enjoy life to the fullest. The space truly feels like New Orleans and provides an exciting escape from the everyday grind. B n’ T recently bought its neighbor, the Chevy Chase Inn and now offers a variety of specials for bar goers on a college budget. With live music Fridays and Saturdays from 10pm to 2am, the newly paired bar and restaurant now brings the bayou to customers every weekend.

Stop by and try the fan favorite, chicken etouffee, “a spicy roux based brown gravy with shredded all natural chicken that simply has to be tried to be fully appreciated,” according to the restaurant website. Close your eyes, take a bite and transport yourself to New Orleans, if only for a moment. However, if you’re looking for something different try the gumbo on jambalaya. This dish mixes dirty rice, sausage, all natural chicken and bell peppers with the New Orleans staple hearty soup, loaded with shrimp and veggies and is a favorite meal of owner Pieratt.

“I eat it for breakfast and dinner sometimes,” Pieratt said.

If you are really in the mood to chomp some gator, don’t just tune into the UK vs. Florida football game this Saturday. Head over and order yourself a plate of alligator etouffee. Served only twice a year, when the Cats take on the Gators in football and basketball, this special will fill you up and remind you just how good it feels to devour one of our biggest rivals.