UK freshmen struggle, then shine with the game on the line

By Joshua Huff

That All-American was none other than USC receiver Pharoh Cooper. He finished with 9 receptions for 100 yards. His fumble during USC’s two-point conversion bid, however, turned the tide of the game. With the Gamecocks in place to tie the game with eight minutes remaining in the 4th quarter, Cooper coughed up the ball, which was subsequently picked up and returned for two points by Ware.

The fumble resulted in a four-point swing, and had fans wondering if factors bigger than just football were at work.

“I was really watching as the play was developing, honestly I was watching our guys looking to peel back to pick up anybody to make sure he got it in,” Stoops said. “I knew that not only stopping them was critical, but to gain that two (points) was huge.”

The victory for UK surpasses the result on the field. The stellar play of the freshmen with the game on the line is a testament to the growth of the program under Stoops.

“It feels good. Again, you know you want to grow as a program you’ve got to take these steps,” Stoops said. “It feels good because the players enjoy it and it gives some substance to the thinks you’re talking to them and preaching for them. They’ve got to get something out of it too. I want to continue to grow, and that’s the best thing you can learn from these things.”

Everything for UK, however, isn’t just adulation and victories. The second half offensive struggles continued Saturday night. After taking a 24-7 lead into the half, USC regrouped and without its starting quarterback, Mitch Connor, (he sustained a separated shoulder and may be out for the year) the Gamecocks pulled to within two points.

USC totaled 215 yards compared to UK 46 yards in the second half, which makes the win all that more impressive.

Preseason expectations had UK entering October, at best, 2-2. With a brutal conference slate lurking in the wings, the Cats’ bowl hopes hedged on entering the Auburn game, at worst, 2-3.

If UK continues to pull wins out of thin air, the possibility remains that it can enter the Oct. 15 match up against the Tigers, 5-0.

Let’s not, however, get to far ahead of ourselves.

Florida’s up next, and from the reaction of head coach Jim McElwain after its 31-24 win over East Carolina, the Gators won’t be happy.

Notes:

RB Boom Williams rushed for over 100 yards for the third-straight game. He finished with 14 carries for 107 yards.

LB Khalid Henderson tied a career high with 10 tackles.

RB Jojo Kemp rushed for his first touchdown on the season.

CB Chris Westry notched his first career sack and interception.

WR’s Garrett Johnson and Dorian Baker led UK with 5 receptions and 55 yards.

UK finished with 67 plays compared to USC’s 61.

The Cats held the Gamecocks to under 200 yards of rushing.