Parkette’s ‘Poor Boy’ worth parking for

Flash back to the fabulous 50s — an era of poodle skirts, checkered decor and great food that is not necessarily healthy. Now imagine this place on present-day New Circle Road. The family-owned Parkette has been featured on Triple D, (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives) with Guy Fieri.

Featuring a dine-in garage, Parkette is open Monday through Saturday and customers can dine-in or drive-in at the restaurant. I’d suggest waiting for a seat on the inside because the atmosphere really makes the experience.

Parkette food is ideal when you are feeling down, “hangry” or going through a bad breakup. Full of cheese, grease and milkshakes, this diner is a great way to enjoy American food in a local way.

According to the Food Network website, customers are encouraged to purchase the “Poor Boy.” The famous burger is two all-beef, quarter-pound patties on a toasted double-decker bun, including cheese, with all the fixings as well as the Parkette sauce — all for $4.29.

Since 1951, when Joe Smiley opened the Parkette, the “Poor Boy” has been filling the hearts and stomachs of Lexingtonians. According to the Parkette menu, Smiley’s inspiration for the burger came from his memory of limited food options in the rural, coal producing areas of West Virginia. “When the coal strikes were on, every body was starving.”

The restaurant was featured on the Rachael Ray Show and a number of local media outlets. When Smiley moved to Lexington, he said, “Lord God, this town’s wide open for a drive-in.” Since brothers Jeff and Randy Kaplan reopened Parkette in March 2009, they have been using Smiley’s original famous fried chicken and hot dog chili sauce recipe. Another great choice on the menu, as there are many, is the Hot Brown burger. The four ounces of angus beef patty is smothered with thick, creamy alfredo sauce, topped with three slices of turkey breast, bacon, American cheese and tomato on a toasted bun. This “True Taste of Kentucky,” is definitely one to try at $7.29.

Even for the healthy eaters and vegetarians, this family-owned business has something for everyone. The veggie patty comes dressed on a toasted bun, with Parkette sauce for $4.29.

When this great diner made headlines, it is fair to say its dessert deserved every accolade. The “Pink Cadillac” is a colossal sweet that would need a heartbreak or two to complete. This desert is two slices of grilled Texas toast stuffed with JIF chocolate spread and sliced bananas, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. This is all topped with a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream and a cherry for $6.69.

Customers looking for a sweet treat with a touch of nostalgia can choose from a variety of hand—spun shakes, malts and floats. The Parkette, an icon of Lexington, is also the place to go when looking for some “stress eating” relief when battling the reality of papers, deadlines and the dreaded group project.