North Lime Donuts is redefining fresh-baked food

By Jamilyn Hall

Local coffee joint North Lime Coffee & Donuts gives Krispy Kreme and Dunkin’ Donuts a run for their money. The bakery is a favorite for many who call Lexington home and for people just passing through.

Not only are the donuts worth waiting for — long lines are expected — but the coffee is also a part of the experience. The off-the-wall donuts, like the maple bacon donut, make the quirky business a great hangout.

North Lime serves Nate’s Coffee, a locally roasted brand that is created in small, precise batches. Nate’s Coffee is the work of Nathan Polly, who is a born and raised Lexingtonian. Nate’s Coffee can be found in nine Lexington locations and even in West Virginia.

The donuts at North Lime are made from scratch and customers know they will receive quality donuts. Not only are the donuts some of the best in town, but they are also hearty and filling. The local shop, located on 575 North Limestone, expanded to a second location on 3101 Clays Mill.

The different creations have customers questioning if it is in fact a donut they are ordering. For example,  in the past month North Lime has rolled out donuts such as Cherry Lime-Aid, Espresso Chip, Nutty Nutella, Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler, Apple Walnut Cheesecake, PB&Just Fabulous, Blackberry Balsamic Cobbler and more.

With different donuts being baked daily, North Lime also has a regular menu of Plain Glazed, Chocolate Iced, Cinnamon Sugar, Funnel Cake and Cinnamonkeys that are available daily. Even with the off-the-charts and bizarre combinations, North Lime has been creating a stir since 2012 and does not seem to be going anywhere but to the top.

As a citizen of the Lexington community it is vital that consumers shop local and help our community grow. It is also important that we enjoy great donuts to keep our sanity, and there is no better way to do so than at one of the North Lime locations. From fresh made donuts to coffee that is roasted in Lexington, it would be a shame not to try this cafe-bakery for yourself.