Kernel will host service for public to pay respect to photo editor’s memory

Jonathan Krueger’s Ohio family and friends gathered at his former school, Maumee Valley Country Day School, in Toledo last night to share memories and support each other in their grief. Meeting his Ohio family, friends, teachers, and team mates was an honor and confirmed what I already knew about Jonathan and how special he was. He will be missed and remembered by his Ohio and Kentucky families dearly. Photo by David Stephenson

By Kevin Erpenbeck

Anyone who wishes to pay their respects and share memories of UK student Jonathan Krueger may do so at a vigil hosted by the Kentucky Kernel at Memorial Hall on Monday at 8 p.m.

Krueger was the photo editor of the Kentucky Kernel during the 2014-15 year and was an integrated strategic communications junior at UK.

The memorial service is open to anyone who wishes to come and pay their respects to Krueger. Doors will open at 7:30 p.m. to give people time to write messages and deliver photos they may have of Krueger before the official service begins.

All messages and photos shared at the service will be compiled into a scrapbook to be later sent to the Krueger family.

Attendees are also encouraged to speak and share any memories they have of Krueger after members of the Kentucky Kernel staff share their thoughts of their former colleague.

Near the end of the service, a video will be shown to remember Krueger’s life. Included in the video will be some of the photos Krueger took while he worked at the Kernel, played over an impromptu dance session he shared with fellow photographer Michael Reaves while driving to a UK Basketball road game.

The video was made by Reaves and shared on the Kentucky Kernel website after Krueger’s death.

After the indoor service concludes, attendees will be welcomed outside to partake in a candlelight vigil near Memorial Hall, weather permitting. A moment of silence for Krueger will then be held to finish the memorial service.

Monday’s service will be the third memorial held for Krueger since his death. On Friday, members of UK’s Beta Theta Pi chapter, Krueger’s former fraternity, hosted a candlelight vigil in the Holy Spirit Parish Newman Center in honor of their former brother. Members of the fraternity, UK students and several of Krueger’s friends attended the service.

The Epsilon Omicron chapter of Beta Theta Pi released a statement on Friday expressing their sympathy to Krueger’s friends and family.

“Jonathan was an active Beta during his tenure in the Epsilon Omicron Chapter and had a way of putting a smile on everyone’s face every single day,” the statement read. “Jonathan could be found pursuing his dreams outside of Beta on the sidelines of a number of University of Kentucky sports. His passion for photography and athletics was great; his love for people was even greater.”

On Saturday, hundreds of people gathered at Maumee Valley Country Day School, Krueger’s former school, to remember their former classmate and friend. Mourners gathered around a bonfire, according to the Toledo Blade, as they hugged and listened to some stories people shared of the Perrysburg, Ohio native. Krueger graduated from Maumee Valley Country Day School in 2012.