City cleans up State Street after fans clear out

Fans of the Kentucky Wildcats congregate on State Street after Kentucky’s loss to Wisconsin in the Final Four. On April 5, 2015. Photo by Cameron Sadler

By Cheyene Miller

Efforts to clean up State Street after UK’s 71-64 fall to Wisconsin moved swiftly and effectively according to Susan Straub, director of communications for the office of Mayor Jim Gray.

Police officers began to shut down State Street around 2 a.m. Sunday to allow the street sweepers to come through and clean up the countless broken beer bottles, torched shirts and boxes.

Thirty-one people were arrested and three were transported to the hospital during the events on State Street Saturday night, according to Straub.

They had the street sweeper ready to go after police started to close off the street, said Straub, who noted that the city government would know in a week how much the overall cleanup efforts cost, as they are paid for by the city and not the university. The city government spent a total of $150, 254 on costs for State Street during UK’s run in the NCAA Tournament last year.

According to a report from the Lexington Herald-Leader, police overtime payments made up the biggest portion of State Street costs last year, totaling $113, 424, which is over 75 percent of the total cost.

The university does not reimburse the city for these costs, as it is part of a deal brokered between the university and the city last year. The deal states that the city covers costs for all events related to basketball since Rupp Arena is owned by the city, and the university would cover costs associated with football events since Commonwealth Stadium is on UK’s campus, according to a report by the Herald-Leader.

The Division of Waste Management and the Division of Streets and Road handled the cleanup on State Street.

With UK now out of the national championship, it is unlikely that UK fans will pour onto State Street after the game Monday night, something that may or may not save the city money.

“My guess is that if you have one less game, you would think you would save money,” Straub said. “We’ll just have to wait and see.”