Students try ‘smooth’ workout

Junior dietetics major Rachel Flanery makes her own smoothie through the power of pedaling outside of Erickson Hall in Lexington, Ky., on Tuesday, March 31, 2015. Photo by Cameron Sadler

By Claire Johnson

ESPN Sports Business Reporter Darren Rovell made the first smoothie to start off the “Pedal Your Way to 5 a Day” Smoothie Bike event Tuesday morning.

The Student Dietetic and Nutrition Association and University Health Service teamed up to put on the event outside Erickson Hall, since March is National Nutrition Month.

Sunny weather and a bike with a blender strapped to the front caught the attention of many students passing by the table. Emily Waits, a UHS Dietitian and Health Education Coordinator, said the goal was to have an eye-catching focal point to allow them to speak with students who approach.

“It’s an awareness event,” Waits said. “The idea is we want to provide them with knowledge where they can find health resources.”

Blue cups filled with homemade trail mix accompanied by a snack recipe were aligned in rows next to ingredients to make smoothies. Students put bananas, frozen strawberries, yogurt and apple juice into their drinks. All ingredients chosen by the organizations were supposed to be likable to students, as well as affordable.

Brynnan Jacobs, a dietetics sophomore, said students living on campus might find it harder to eat healthy.

“Fruit is even expensive on a college budget,” Jacobs said, “but it’s important to know you can make it fun and still get the benefits.”

With the free snacks also came flyers for students. The materials included information on correct portion sizing, healthy recipes and snacks specifically for dorms and apartments.

“I see students in the clinic all the time who don’t have a clear understanding of portion sizing,” Waits said.

Hannah Clifton, a dietetics junior, hoped the active event would encourage students to make healthier food choices and see that they can also taste good. This understanding can beneficial to University of Kentucky students. According to USAF Fit Family, studies have shown on average, students gain three to 10 pounds during their first two years of college.

Students quickly took a spin on the bike provided by Wildcat Wheels. Lauren Mehanna, a freshman in chemical engineering, said the bike is like a “two-in-one” activity for students.

Jevincio Tooson, a dietetics freshman, agreed with the benefits for students who stop and try out the ride.

“When I look at this bike I think about sustainability,” Tooson said. “People can get a good workout and a healthy smoothie.”