Sorority hosts country star

Deana Carter performs a private concert for the women of Alpha Delta Pi to celebrate raising over 80 thousand dollars for the Ronald McDonald House. Tuesday, March 31, 2015 in Lexington, Photo by Joel Repoley

By Anne Halliwell

Country music star Deana Carter rewarded Alpha Delta Pi’s fundraising efforts with a private concert in the sorority’s home Tuesday evening.

UK’s ADPi chapter raised nearly $86,700 in the 2013-2014 school year.

Becca Gower, the current president of the UK chapter, said most of the funds came from that year’s Main Event boxing competition and Color Me Rad run, which took place this year on Saturday.

“We really went above and beyond this year,” the communication science disorders junior said. “We’ve been trying to get Greeks and non-Greeks alike involved.”

UK’s ADPis competed with chapters across the U.S. and Canada to raise money. Gower said that their organization raised more than $340 per member, which put the chapter over the top.

“Leading up to (the concert), it’s been a huge, really hyped environment,” Gower said. “Not just on our campus — it’s gotten other chapters so excited that a national country music superstar is coming to our little house.”

Carter sat with a microphone, a stand and a guitar at the head of rows of white seats, which were quickly filled with sorority members.

Beth White, the volunteer coordinator for the Ronald McDonald House, ADPi’s philanthropy, thanked the organization for its effort.

“You should be so proud of yourselves because we couldn’t do what we need to do without you,” White said. “When I think of service, I see your all’s bright, shining faces.”

Carter told the viewing sorority that they “kicked the nation’s booty” with their fundraising efforts.

“It’s wonderful to come together and compete with each other for such a great reason,” she said.

Carter, a former ADPi at the University of Tennessee, performed seven songs from her original album in 1996, “Did I Shave My Legs For This?” and more from her upcoming album, “Southern Way of Life.”

The album has an autobiographical bent that Carter explained in between each song.

“I don’t know if y’all remember my first album,” Carter said. “You might have been in fifth grade.”

The fear proved unfounded when, during the final two songs, members in the back of the seats sang along to “You and Tequila” and stood for “Strawberry Wine.”

“I think we all grew up singing along to ‘Strawberry Wine,’” communications junior Jordan Phillips said. “She’s just classic.

Phillips added that she thought Carter was “really humble and gracious” during her performance.

Biology sophomore Mackenzie Humphrey said that Carter was the musician who came to mind when she thought about traditional country music stars.

“It feels great to be rewarded (for philanthropy) because we would have done it either way,” Humphrey said. “It’s good to know that she cares.”

Carter added that her experience as an ADPi was one of the “root systems” that she still had in her life, connecting her with old friends.

“It just changes your life and sets you on a course where you want to help,” Carter said. “And have fun.”