Fans head to Nashville to support Cats

By Alex Olin

Rallying behind UK’s undefeated streak, UK students are following the Cat’s trail of victory to the men’s SEC Tournament this week in Nashville, Tenn.

In addition to hosting the 2015 SEC Tournament this Friday at Bridgestone Arena, Nashville will offer its “Big Blue” guests the chance to explore the city’s attractions.

Making the trip to support the Wildcats, business management freshman Nick Minneman said he has a few ideas of how to occupy his time in Nashville that isn’t dedicated to watching the Cats.

“Two things I love are supporting the Wildcats and finding inexpensive food that tastes great,” Minneman said. “When I’m in Nashville I plan on eating at the Pharmacy Burger. It’s cheap and delicious. Also, spending the day at a Predators game doesn’t sound bad either.”

Along with the Pharmacy Burger, many tourists like to visit the Nashville Zoo and the Opryland Hotel. But despite these activities, communications freshman Madison Rexroat and freshman Megan Rose said that their main reason for driving down to Nashville is to continue supporting the Cats.

“I’m going to Nashville to support UK because it’s going to be tough. They need all the support they can get,” Rexroat said. “I plan on eating, sleeping and breathing UK basketball that weekend.”

The two are planning to be at the game before noon Friday, and then spend the rest of the day exploring the sites that are located near Bridgestone Arena.

“I love UK, but I also would love to try and do everything fun in Nashville when I’m not at the game, so it’s all just about balancing the tournament with things to do afterwards,” Rose said.

But UK supporters are not the only ones making the three-hour journey to Nashville to see the Cats play. Georgetown biochemistry freshman Shania Robidoux plans on cheering the Cats onward Friday, as well as taking the time to enjoy the Opry Mills, one of Nashville’s major shopping malls.

“The Nashville Mall, and the UK basketball team, is something I am looking forward to see Friday,” Robidoux said. “Not only do (I) get a well-deserved shopping day in the mall, I also get to see UK kick butt.”

With Nashville offering the chance of a cheap meal, fun-packed activities and the opportunity to support the Kentucky Wildcats so close to home, fans said they couldn’t ask for anything better.

“I know this trip is going to be awesome,” Minneman said. “Win or lose, UK is always going to be the best team that sets foot in Bridgestone. That’s just a fact.”