UK men’s soccer secures five new players

Kentucky men’s soccer coach Johan Cedergren watches on during the Kentucky men’s soccer match against Louisville at the Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Ky., on Tuesday, September 23, 2014. Photo by Jonathan Krueger

By Hunter Mitchell

Five players signed national letters of intent on Thursday to play for UK men’s soccer in the fall of 2015.

According to UK Athletics, the recruiting class includes Kentucky natives Harper White and Luke Treadway, along with Cooper Whitfield from Mansfield, Texas, Tanner Hummel from Kennesaw, Ga., and Christian Kirol from Columbia, SC.

“These players are willing to come in and take the challenge of representing the Big Blue Nation, and we believe they will do a great job taking on that task,” UK head coach Johan Cedergren said.

Treadway, one of the most decorated recruits of the class, is a forward from Edgewood, Ky., where he played at Scott High School. He helped the Eagles win the District and Regional title in 2014.

Treadway was the Kentucky Enquirer Player of the Year in 2014 and was selected to the KHSAA Boys Soccer State All-Tournament Team.

“If you give him a chance around the goal, he will most likely finish it,” Cedergren said of Treadway.

White, a goalkeeper, joins the Cats after playing at Louisville Collegiate School where he went 14-4-2 in the net.

“We are very excited to announce the next class of Wildcats,” Cedergren said to UK Athletics. “(Assisstant coach David) Casper and (assisstant coach Chase) Wileman have done a great job identifying players that are not only talented soccer players, but are also committed to the values that we hold on and off the field.”