Andrew Harrison’s road woes resurface

Kentucky head coach gives instruction to guard Andrew Harrison during the second half of the University of Kentucky Men’s Basketball game versus University of Florida basketball game at O’Connell Center in Gainesville , Fl., on Saturday, February 7, 2015. . Photo by Jonathan Krueger

By Kyle Arensdorf

Sophomore guard Andrew Harrison had by far his best game against Georgia on Tuesday.

He had a season-high 23 points on 8-of-16 shooting – seven points more than the previous season-high he reached in the first game of the season.

More importantly it came at a time when he’d been struggling, and his backup, freshman guard Tyler Ulis, had been outshining him on the court.

But four days removed from his “rebound” game, in a road matchup with Florida, Harrison had his worst game to date.

The 6-foot-6 guard gave the ball away three times and had four fouls in 24 minutes of play.

His sole point came when he made 1-of-2 free throws with less than a minute left in the game (the Cats were a perfect 18-for-18 from the line before his first free throw glanced off of the side of the rim).

But his poor stats weren’t the whole story.

He played tentatively against Florida’s smaller guards, almost skittishly at times, making lazy passes and falling asleep countless times on defense.

When the Cats faced Georgia Tuesday, Harrison’s seven assists and his trio of 3-pointers lifted UK. And he essentially took over the game when it began to teeter.

But that was in Rupp Arena, which has been a safe-haven for him all season; in road games, he plays decidedly worse.

With the exception of the Cats’ Missouri matchup, Harrison hasn’t reached double-digit points, or had more than five assists, in the team’s six road games, accumulating 16 turnovers in the process.

Harrison’s struggles Saturday night couldn’t have come at a less-opportune time either.

Whether it’s fair or not, Harrison and his brother, sophomore guard Aaron Harrison, will always be synonymous with one another.

They’ll always be “the Harrison twins,” and when one has a stand-out game while the other one is struggling, the latter will stick out like a sore thumb.

Unfortunately for Andrew Harrison, this phenomenon was made clear Saturday.

While Andrew Harrison remained in the starting gate, his brother had a prototypical “Aaron Harrison” game – calling for the ball late and scoring at will in a highly-competitive second half.

Coincidentally, Aaron Harrison put the capstone points on the night at the free throw line after his brother’s misstep from the line 20 seconds earlier.

Aaron Harrison is rounding nicely into late-season form, and is starting to make his case for being the best player on the team.

So being outshined by him isn’t something to be ashamed about, but that scrutiny will continue to follow the both of them.

Andrew Harrison didn’t play badly Saturday night.

But he sat back on his heels and was docile, and that’s almost worse.