Former U.S. Senator who worked to improve UK remembered

A memorial service for Wendell Ford was held at the Kentucky State Capital on Sunday, January 25, 2015 in in Frankfort, KY. Ford served the state of Kentucky as Lieutenant Governor, Governor and in the U.S. Senate. Ford lost his battle with cancer at the age of 90. Photo by Michael Reaves

By Cheyene Miller

Notable politicians and journalists from around the state were in attendance at the state Capitol in Frankfort on Sunday to pay their respect to former Kentucky governor and U.S. Senator Wendell Ford.

“He was Kentucky’s last great statesman,” said former Gov. Paul Patton in regard to Ford, noting that Ford was influential in Patton’s decision to get started in politics.

Ford was diagnosed with lung cancer in July, and died Thursday in his Owensboro home at the age of 90. A private funeral service will be held in Owensboro on Tuesday at the Elmwood Cemetery, according to a report by WLKY.

A memorial service for Ford took place at 3 p.m. in the Capitol building. The service featured an opening prayer from Gov. Steve Beshear, a eulogy from Thomas Preston, owner of the public relations firm Preston Global and former representative for Ford, a closing prayer from Kentucky Lt. Gov. Crit Luallen and a singing of “My Old Kentucky Home” by Colmon Elridge III, executive assistant to the governor.

“Here truly was and is one of God’s finest designs,” said Preston during the eulogy. Preston also noted that Ford had an “absolutely outstanding” relationship with the media, and that he was a senator who was “trusted on both sides of the aisle.”

Dr. John Stephenson, who served as superintendent of public education in Kentucky, said that Ford “did a great deal for education all across the state of Kentucky.”

Stephenson said that Ford was instrumental in the development of the dormitories and institutional buildings at UK, and helped get funding to further develop Rupp Arena and Commonwealth Stadium.

Lexington Mayor Jim Gray was also in attendance, and said that Ford essentially “knew everybody in every county in Kentucky,” and was one of the last great practitioners of “retail politics,” which describes politicians who focus on local events and meeting individuals face-to-face.

Gray also said that Ford always acted with the best interests of Kentuckians in mind.

“He always advocated and always supported Kentucky,” Gray said. “It’s always a loss when you lose someone who defines an era as he did.”

Ford was the first person in Kentucky history to successively serve as lieutenant governor, governor and senator.   He served as a Democratic Whip from 1991 to 1999.

Mike Ruehling, who served as Ford’s speechwriter as governor, and his press secretary as senator, said that Ford prided himself in the Senate on being the first senator in the building to make coffee.

One of Ford’s most famous political acts was managing the National Voter Registration Act of 1993, also known as the “Motor Voter Act.” The legislation expanded voter registration opportunities by allowing citizens to register to vote when registering a motor vehicle, as well as by mail and various government offices.

“Today is an affirmation of a life well lived and a job well done,” Ruehling said.