UK volleyball falls to Ohio State in second round of NCAA Tournament

By Madison Tinder

UK volleyball suffered a heartbreaking loss Saturday as the Cats were unable to overcome two powerful offensive sets from Ohio State in Memorial Coliseum.

The loss ends the careers of seniors Lauren O’Conner, Jackie Napper and Alyssa Gergins who led the team to a 27-6 record; the most wins in a season since 2011. O’Conner finished her career with 1,024 kills, the 12th most in UK history and earned All SEC honors.

Napper earned SEC libero of the year and had a record breaking 537 digs on the season. Napper leaves her legacy with 1,516 digs in her career, second most in the program.

“If I was an emotional person, this would be my time to cry,” Coach Craig Skinner said. “You hope the legacy of these two (Jackie Napper and Lauren O’Conner) along with Alyssa Gergins had for us is long lasting and forever remembered.”

Skinner spoke as he sat next to seniors O’Conner and Napper and junior outside hitter Shelby Workman, who all entered the room full of reporters with tears in their eyes.

Ohio State standout’s Erin Sekinger and Elizabeth Campbell led the match with 16 kills each, the highest total of the game.

“We started out hot and then Ohio State did a great job of beating us at things we typically do well.” Coach Skinner said.

UK entered the first set with a 7-3 lead behind a Brown and Workman block and a solo block by Thomasson. The Cats stretched the lead 14-8, but the Buckeyes responded with a 4-1 run to reach within three points 16-13. The two teams exchanged points until UK achieved a 25-23 victory behind a kill from Bergren.

The two teams battled back and forth in the start of the second frame, but Ohio State went on an offensive run to extend the lead 18-14. The Cats could not handle the Buckeyes attacks and fell 25-18 in the set.

The third set began much like the second, the two teams exchanged three lead changes but the Buckeyes responded with more momentum. The Cats got drilled by Ohio State’s offense and could not find a place to score on the court. The Buckeyes snagged the third set 25-18.

Ohio State sailed into the fourth set behind

The Buckeyes sailed into the fourth set behind powerful momentum and took a 4-1 lead in the set, but the Cats responded with a Workman kill to tie the set 4-4. The Buckeyes then rallied and extended the lead to 17-10 behind unnecessary errors by UK. The Buckeyes grabbed the fourth and final set 25-19.

Reflecting on the loss, O’Conner could not hold back the tears.

“We have put in our heart and soul for four years,” O’Conner said. “We are such a close team and this year was very special.”