International Game Day displays fun of other cultures

By Anne Halliwell

A small group of student library employees kicked off the International Game Day celebrations in the Hub at William T. Young Library Wednesday afternoon.

Early on, the event mostly consisted of students from the Robert E. Hemenway Writing Center and digital desk who helped with the planning, said Toni Greider, the director of international programs for UK Libraries.

“I’m not really worried about numbers,” Greider said. “Just the people who came, I want them to have a good time.”

Greider offered attendees popcorn, water and soda as they entered the Hub for board games, corn hole and Wii bowling.

Haley Gray, who played several rounds on the Wii with her fellow Writing Center employees, was already involved in building relationships with international students.

The high school English education senior said UK Libraries holds an International Conversation Hour beginning at 5:30 on Wednesdays, which paved the way for their involvement in the game day.

“It’s just kind of a fun, open place to get to know each other, work on conversation skills if need be.” Gray said. “It’s just a great place.”

Electrical engineering graduate student Si Chen played corn hole with other students and staff.

The library employees support each other’s ventures, Chen said. He helped Greider with planning for a Chinese board game that may be included in next year’s event.

“I’m an international student, so I’m willing to help and learn about other cultures,” Chen said.

The event ran from 1 p.m. through 4 p.m.

“I think it’s a good way to bring everyone together — there are a lot of international students,” Gray said. “It’s nice for us to hear about other cultures.”