This year’s Cats do not need a dominant player to succeed

The Kentucky Wildcats bench react to a dunk during the second half of the game against the University of Georgetown Tigers at Rupp Arena on Sunday, November 9, 2014 in Lexington, Ky. Kentucky defeated Georgetown 121-52. Photo by Michael Reaves

By Nick Gray

We’ve seen John Wall and Brandon Knight. We watched Anthony Davis and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist in awe.

We marveled at Nerlens Noel and Julius Randle.

They’ve been the alpha males on their respective UK teams over the last five years. Each has been the dominant player and the dominant personality on the floor.

The Cats may not have that player on this season’s team, and it will not hurt them.

But there is one candidate who fits the profile of a freshman who can do just about anything — forward Karl Towns.

Out of the 12 players in UK’s engorged, two-platoon rotation, Towns has the highest ceiling.

Towns has shown the propensity to feel comfortable on the low block. He can make outside shots, even though we have not seen him shoot from the perimeter much in the two exhibition games.

Defensively, he will not have to play against the other team’s best interior presence because junior forward Willie Cauley-Stein can do that. Towns will have the chance to eat rebounds off of the backboard with Cauley-Stein defending the offensive driver. He does not have to do it all. And the platoon system will make sure Towns does not have a chance to do it all. The only thing it may hurt is the perception nationally that the lack of minutes for guys such as Towns will lower per-game total. That perception, carried by a few national college basketball writers on social media such as ESPN’s John Goodman, is patently false.

For some time now, led by Memphis Grizzlies executive John Hollinger, the emphasis on player efficiency such as player efficiency ratings, per-36 minute statistics and other metrics that reduce the effects of playing time. The exhibition game numbers for Towns — against two NAIA teams — reveal that he averaged 24 points and 11 rebounds per-36 minutes in exhibition play. Regardless of whom UK is playing, those numbers are numbingly good.

Regarding personality, nearly every Cats player said Towns had the best personality of the freshmen class. When he is interviewed, he is colorful with his answers and expressive with a smile. That means little on the court, but sometimes, swagger off the court can reflect onto the court. Towns has a confidence and a swagger reminiscent of the alpha males of the past.

But UK won’t need him to beat 14-seeds and mid-majors like Knight and Wall. He does not have to shoulder the load.

Towns could be the least-utilized No. 1 pick in NBA history in college. He does not have to be Noel or Davis for this Cats team. UK’s ceiling is limitless without Towns. With him, the Cats field the most talented team in program history.